New Business Model
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Business of Photography

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2016   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 438961
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default New Business Model

I've been a full-time photographer for 25 years, and wife was a stay at home mom for most of that time. Needless to say, I had to survive.

Like many others I had a mentor who originally hired me to do his printing for him. As he taught me the craft, I did some jobs for him, then like so many others, I went out on my own, competing against him. I needed people, so trained the next generation of my competition. And the cycle continues. Kinda weird how we pay people so that they can compete against us. I wish it was the other way around. How about...

My mentor trains me. Later, I start my own business, and in appreciation for the training, he'd receive a small commission based on my sales. Likewise, my trainees clients would pay me a small bit of their purchases, and even my mentor would get a small part based on their sales, but those commissions wouldn't come out of our income, but from the client. Wouldn't that be great?

Never mind. Then we'd be in network marketing and called a pyramid scheme.

Old 08-30-2016   #2
Llama

CamelKarma: 455110
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: New Business Model

Yeah, sounds very much like network marketing. And besides, there is no need. It's how the world works. We learn. We work. We pass it on.

Just because you teach someone your craft, it is still no guarentee they will even compete against you. My photo school started with 60 people. By the 4th semester we were down to 10. Of those 10 I think 4 or 5 of us are still at it.

Most people just want to learn the technical side of things. They rarely learn or even try to learn the "business" side of things. Even I had to learn that the hard way with many failed photo business startups. And I already had a lot of professional, nationally published work. But for other studios or agencies I worked with. They got the client. I just did the photography. Now I know A LOT more about marketing and sales and I'm doing pretty good.

Marketing and sales skills is the thing that would concern me more then anyone ability to take a decent shot. Just about anyone today can produce a nice image. Produce a nice client and make some money off him is what the real key is. Sadly most never understand this and don't learn enough or don't even bother to learn anything about it and give up a few months later.

photolando is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Business of Photography »

Share this topic: