3rd Party Usage Rights
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Business of Photography

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2016   #1
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default 3rd Party Usage Rights

I shoot for a client that sends me on location. Several product shots were seen by the manufacturer and they contacted my client, their dealer, for enlargements. My client pays me for my time and under our agreement, I provide them with images strictly for their use. At times, they have provided their client with the images I shot as a courtesy and also to review to avoid problems with proprietary content. However, it is my understanding is that I own the photos even if I give them copies to use in their sales efforts.

If someone approaches them for enlargements and wants to use the images on social media, how would I handle that? In a situation in which a manufacturer wants to use images I shot and edited, I believe they should come to me for prints. How do you handle the social media use aspect of something like this? I was thinking of charging the manufacturer for prints and enlargements of the shots they wanted and charging a usage fee for their use in social media and their advertising, similar to a stock photography type of situation. I've not dealt with this before and want to handle is properly and professionally from the start.

Have any of you had to deal with a similar situation? If so, what agreements did you put in place to keep everything professional?

Old 05-30-2016   #2
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 264276
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: 3rd Party Usage Rights

Just deal with it as you would any new customer seeking to license images. First you have to find out exactly what they want and exactly how they want to use it. Only then can you come up with a cost proposal.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Business of Photography »

Share this topic:

Tags
3rd party, copyright, social media, usage