Taking a chance?
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Business of Photography

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2015   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 169103
Editing OK?: Ask first
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Taking a chance?

So, I am a 23 year old photographer that has been shooting the local sports teams in the surrounding small towns for the past few years. The area has treated me right but things are slowing down and Instead of refreshing things I want to get out into a different area. Go explore. Basically leave the 'safe zone' and try to achieve the success I stride for.I am getting bored. I am not married and I'm pretty much free to go off, I figured If I fail the worse thing that happens is I move back. I don't know If I should start traveling to expo/events, Start contacting sports teams that have opening positions for a team photographer (in different states) or what my next move should be?
Currently I am saving money for whatever I chose to do. Any Suggestions?

Thank you.

EF
18 - 55 mm / EF 75 -300 mm / 70 - 200 2.8L IS
Ace130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015   #2
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 532809
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Taking a chance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace130 View Post
So, I am a 23 year old photographer that has been shooting the local sports teams in the surrounding small towns for the past few years. The area has treated me right but things are slowing down and Instead of refreshing things I want to get out into a different area. Go explore. Basically leave the 'safe zone' and try to achieve the success I stride for.I am getting bored. I am not married and I'm pretty much free to go off, I figured If I fail the worse thing that happens is I move back. I don't know If I should start traveling to expo/events, Start contacting sports teams that have opening positions for a team photographer (in different states) or what my next move should be?
Currently I am saving money for whatever I chose to do. Any Suggestions?

Thank you.
I know this post is about 2 months old but since no one replied to it I will try to give you some advice.

When you are shooting the local team, was that income ALONE enough to pay the bills or did you have to work another job to pay the bills.

If you needed another job to pay the bills before you move make sure you have a steady job in line at the new location. Photography is great but unless if you are well established, you won't have a steady income to pay the bills.

Basically what I am saying is if you are going to take the risk, have a back up plan.

Good luck.

superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Business of Photography »

Share this topic: