Best Photo Web Hosting sites
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Business of Photography

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2013   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 116
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Best Photo Web Hosting sites

I just said goodbye to Photobiz. We've been together for 4 years, but I just couldn't justify the monthly fee any longer. My clients just do not want to go to a web host to view and proof pics. It might be that Photobiz has never figured out the whole cell phone thing. I could never get my viewing and proofing page to work on a cell phone, tablet, etc. People just want Facebook or nothing. I have heard some good things about Zenfolio Any thoughts?

Old 10-08-2013   #2
Former Camel

CamelKarma: 6076
Editing OK?: No
Default Re: Best Photo Web Hosting sites

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstevensphoto View Post
I just said goodbye to Photobiz. We've been together for 4 years, but I just couldn't justify the monthly fee any longer. My clients just do not want to go to a web host to view and proof pics. It might be that Photobiz has never figured out the whole cell phone thing. I could never get my viewing and proofing page to work on a cell phone, tablet, etc. People just want Facebook or nothing. I have heard some good things about Zenfolio Any thoughts?
They want facebook because they can steal images...

I have zenfolio and love it more and more with every update. Affordable and very customizable... Works well on phones and tablets too. You cant beat $30/yr for their basic plan to get things going. If you plan to sell online then you must upgrade to the Premium plan and it runs $120/yr.. They are a little pricey with you use their site for your primary means of taking payments but if you use a service such as square or go payment the free drops from 8% plus the cost of materiel's down to 2.7% plus the cost of materiel's.
Scotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013   #3
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 116
Editing OK?: Yes

Thanks Scotch. I've been paying $25/month for a few years, so $120 a year sounds pretty good. Photobiz has great customer service and it's easy to use, but it's really a Flash site and they have never figured out the HTML thing. Plus, they have started charging for anything extra you want. I'll take another look at Zenfolio.
jstevensphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013   #4
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 4387

Maybe also have a look at Smugmug
Old 10-09-2013   #5
Former Camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceCo55 View Post
Maybe also have a look at Smugmug
I heard they recently raised their prices on their current customers! I tried them for their free trial period and I was disappointed in just about every thing they offered.
Old 10-09-2013   #6
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 19116378

I have been with smugmug for 10 years, no complaint here. They offer basic to pro services and pricing arises depending on what you want from them. Very responsive customer service, and they are very education centric in that they sponsor PAC groups all over the world.
Old 10-09-2013   #7
Former Camel

There are both good products, just comes down to little things.

The fact that zenfolio just upgraded their ability to custom design their templates is a big plus and they didnt raise their prices $100 after doing so. I cant speak for smugmug except for a very short trial period where I experimented with their layouts and design. In my opinions zenfolio is far more intuitive and user friendly. Customer support is very good with zen as well, most email requests are answered within 30 mins, guaranteed by 2 hrs.

Decision also should be made based on what you plan to do with your hosting.

Just hosting or hosting and eCommerce.

I dont use zenfolio too much for ecommence as they have some higher fees that I can counter with other payment services that are more competitive. That is the trick with zenfolio, avoid taking payments via their service and you save on all the fees. You can make coupons or gift certifacates to make 0 profit transactions thus saving on user fees which saves about 5-6% in fees. This stills allow the client to take advantage of online transactions but by using a coupon code instead of a credit card.
Old 10-09-2013   #8
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 2638122
Editing OK?: Ask first

I like self hosting/fulfilling so we use photocart.
jdt360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013   #9
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 4387

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotch View Post
I heard they recently raised their prices on their current customers! I tried them for their free trial period and I was disappointed in just about every thing they offered.
They have plans costing $40 $60 $150 and $300/year
Like everything new, sometimes it takes a little while to feel comfortable with how to customise things. There are plenty of people who have signed up to Smugmug. Each to his/her own. Do what works for you.
Old 10-10-2013   #10
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 19116378

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotch View Post
There are both good products, just comes down to little things.

The fact that zenfolio just upgraded their ability to custom design their templates is a big plus and they didnt raise their prices $100 after doing so. I cant speak for smugmug except for a very short trial period where I experimented with their layouts and design. In my opinions zenfolio is far more intuitive and user friendly. Customer support is very good with zen as well, most email requests are answered within 30 mins, guaranteed by 2 hrs.

Decision also should be made based on what you plan to do with your hosting.

Just hosting or hosting and eCommerce.

I dont use zenfolio too much for ecommence as they have some higher fees that I can counter with other payment services that are more competitive. That is the trick with zenfolio, avoid taking payments via their service and you save on all the fees. You can make coupons or gift certifacates to make 0 profit transactions thus saving on user fees which saves about 5-6% in fees. This stills allow the client to take advantage of online transactions but by using a coupon code instead of a credit card.
As already noted Smugmug has affordable tiered pricing, the storage is unlimited and they have been around longer then just about any of the hosting sites. They were I believe on of the first to provide custom integration and CSS abilities to seamlessly incorporate their service with your site or you can make your smugmug look to be your top level site. They also jsut went through a major site redesign

They have full range of ecommerce and product options, their own community and much more so for the money they are a viable choice. In the end though trying to say this site is better than that site is similar to comparing Nikon and Canon. The all get the job done in the end. So I say look at them all and pick the one that looks to best meet your needs.

Bobby Deal is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Business of Photography »

Share this topic: