Best Photo Web Hosting sites - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Business of Photography

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2013   #11
Former Camel

CamelKarma: 6076
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Best Photo Web Hosting sites

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Deal View Post
As already noted Smugmug has affordable tiered pricing, the storage is unlimited and they have been around longer then just about any of the hosting sites. They were I believe on of the first to provide custom integration and CSS abilities to seamlessly incorporate their service with your site or you can make your smugmug look to be your top level site. They also jsut went through a major site redesign

They have full range of ecommerce and product options, their own community and much more so for the money they are a viable choice. In the end though trying to say this site is better than that site is similar to comparing Nikon and Canon. The all get the job done in the end. So I say look at them all and pick the one that looks to best meet your needs.
Thanks bobby, your opinions are always appreciated....
Scotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013   #12
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 2982
Editing OK?: Ask First

I'm not in love with Smumug but a photog friend of mine has used it. Recently though it sounds like she may be switching. Another photog friend used Wix but I'm sure she is not the only one who dislikes that much flash! I have always used Zenfolio and I really like them. The only thing that daunts me in particular is the shopping cart options. So much customization everywhere it makes my head spin so I have it disabled until I sort all that out.
ShutterPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013   #13
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 116
Editing OK?: Yes

I finally set up a Zenfolio Premium acct. So far, I like it a lot. I'm really trying to get out of selling prints and CDs. I really like to charge a sitting fee, and let the clients buy the products on line.
jstevensphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013   #14
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 14591

Well some of you might not of experienced any problems with smugmug, but I have had two years of hell trying to get away from them. They have basically held a domain I registered, through them locking it away as a hostage, countless emails giving links to bull$shit instructions, a runaround to the ninth degree between them and GoDaddy about who can access the domain to unlock it. Not ONCE responding with the requested phone conversation. Keeping my images on their servers when I have emails from them expressively confirming the account has been closed only to find another charge to my credit card the following year and having to continually fight for the account to be closed, not once mind you now we are going in to round three!

Absolutely a dishonest company and I truly question anyone claiming great results with them, have you tried to leave or troubleshoot a major problem with them?

I would stay as far away from SmugMug as possible!!! They will highjack your business!

Interior & Architectural Photographer

Washington DC Stock Images
archfotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013   #15
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 4387

Quote:
Originally Posted by archfotos View Post
Absolutely a dishonest company and I truly question anyone claiming great results with them, have you tried to leave or troubleshoot a major problem with them?

I would stay as far away from SmugMug as possible!!! They will highjack your business!

So knowing nothing about me or my experience with Smugmug, and based on your poor experience with them, I must be wrong when I say Smugmug has been terrific. For me their support is super quick and super friendly.
Seriously ... you need to share your conclusions with a little more circumspection ... or just mark it as a "personal rant YMMV"
I not denying what you say is true from your perspective but to try and extrapolate that to a whole company with thousands and thousands of happy customers is drawing a very long bow indeed.
Old 12-10-2013   #16
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 14591

You are absolutely correct my post is my personal opinion or rant as you would like to slant it. I would never want to speak for thousands and thousands of their customers claiming them to be happy. Do you have first hand knowledge and permission from those thousands of customers to state their satisfaction? If so how did you get it, are you an employee or a representative of an organization that has benefited from smugmug via a survey? Over the years I have belonged to a variety of industry listserves I am not posting the second hand negative opinions I've read nor any praise. I am clearly stating what I have experienced.

While my original post was in no way directed at you. Quite frankly I would never directly point at a specific individual I have seen over time on PCamel a lot of positive fluff, give a bad opinion about a company or product and people jump all over them. And it's not just here time and time again I read five star reviews on online companies such as Amazon on third party crap -while it might work, there is no WAY it deserves five stars. In school we had a thing called a bell curve how come we don't see those statistics in online reviews? It's always funny as soon as an update comes out everyone is praising the benefits over the horrible problems the last one held - even though the last model had a high five star count.

I do specifically question your statement "super quick and super friendly" I have an email folder labeled "smugmug hassle" not a folder I would created originally for a problem that should of been handled two + years ago. A folder stuffed with emails providing misleading links and info from their tech support. When you advertise on this forum that smugmug is super friendly in their customer support I have to ask how? How exactly do you have "friendly" support when they only respond in email format? I have tried countless times to have them call me for a personal phone conversation to resolve the matter. Again while I won't speak for anyone except for myself I know some of very talented designers and I'll bet if you asked what are the top requirements to make a web hosting company super friendly all of them would state somewhere in their list the ability to communicate via phone if needed. Maybe even google articles on what makes up a friendly hosting company? customer support only truly shines when there are real problems.

quick story: I emailed another web hosting company that I have a site on, how to do something, just expecting a link to some tutorial page or written instructions, never requesting a call or anything, I almost immediately got a phone call, before I could even get up for a cup of coffee, not only walking me through the steps personally but finishing with "oh you know what I'll just take care of it for you" that is friendly and quick customer service.

I stand behind what I posted, this is a business forum I purchased a domain specifically to attract customers through smugmug for two years that domain has been a dead link. I have records of the credit card over charges. I have the emails from their tech support clearly linking to misleading and outright wrong pages in trying to transfer my domain. Yes originally reading through their promotional info they sounded like a viable service and I signed up. It has been a two plus year hassle trying to leave them and yes YMMV, a personal opinion from a real person who has nothing to benefit except wasting their time to post this.

p.s. I will not respond to this thread again I have no inclination to waste any more time on it

Interior & Architectural Photographer

Washington DC Stock Images
archfotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013   #17
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 4387

Quote:
Originally Posted by archfotos View Post
p.s. I will not respond to this thread again I have no inclination to waste any more time on it
Ditto
Old 12-17-2013   #18
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 19116378

Archphotos, you know I am sorry to hear you have had a bad run with Smugmug, personally I have had virtually flawless service from them since 2001 and in the couple of instances I did require customer support that support was responsive, efficient and met all my needs in the blink of an eye.

Granted I never have tried to close my account with them but the few times I have had questions I have received response at all hours of day or night. I have had representatives of Smugmug in my studio on several occasions as I have hosted workshops and seminars for them that they offered to their members free of charge. Workshops that let them work hands on with the likes of Michael Jordan Smith and other top level photographers and photoshop experts.

I know from my own first hand face to face personal experience with their employees that they have a great sense of community, they take great pride in the service they provide and that they offer many wonderful benefits to their users. The fact that you have had a less then wonderful experience with them is unfortunate but I will stand on my own experience to say that I believe they are a quality company that truly cares about their customers. The truth is no company with such a wide base of customers is ever going to have 100% customer satisfaction. There are always going to be issues that some minimum wage CSR handles poorly or at simply falls through the cracks. I might suggest you visit their forums and find the profile for the owner Andy and send him a direct message and if is is as responsive as I have known him to be in the past. I am sure he will personally respond to you and do all he can to resolve your issue to your satisfaction.

All that said I would like to remind you that Photo Camel is a Friendly Forum and I would ask you to refrain from cursing and while you are welcome to express your displeasure and relate your personal experience I would ask that you also refrain from labeling any company a "dishonest company" the fact that you have had a negative experience does not prove the company dishonest it only proves that there are humans involved and as with any human transaction mistakes can occur and sometimes it would seem that those mistakes have a way of piling up on top of themselves with particular individuals at times.

Calling into question the integrity of the company or those who have had a good experience with the same company is more than unfair to both. I hope that you find a solution to your issue with Smugmug but the honest truth is that there is no more anyone here who can correct it for you than there is anyone here who can change the structure and culture behind online review systems.
Old 12-17-2013   #19
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 416203
Editing OK?: Yes

I like Zenfolio, works great for me. Clients place orders and Zenfoio takes payment and MPix sends clients their products in under a week.
My Zenfolio (needs some TLC, it's kind of rough but works for me) --> Zenfolio | PhotoXpressions
Old 12-19-2013   #20
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 148438

I had Smugmug and went with Zenfolio. I had no problems with Smugmug. They had excellent customer service and quick responses. I went with Zenfolio because of the lab choices I had. Otherwise both are excellent and you will or should not be disappointed with either one.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Business of Photography »

Share this topic: