Portrait Photographers - Voice your opinions
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Business of Photography

View Poll Results: What type of effect will this news have on the portrait industry?
Increase of customers 1 5.56%
Inclease of customers with lower pricing expectations 6 33.33%
Increase of problematic customers in regards to pricing vs. value 2 11.11%
No real effect at all 9 50.00%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2013   #1
Former Camel

CamelKarma: 102701
Editing OK?: Ask first
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Portrait Photographers - Voice your opinions

Major Portrait Business's Closing Down

Do you think this news will produce more clients to those of us who target this industry?

Do you think the clients that used the Sears and Walmarts will continue to expect the lower pricing schemes that they had in the past?

What are the possible effects that this will have on the industry if any?

Old 04-06-2013   #2
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1206139
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: Portrait Photographers - Voice your opinions

I think maybe a factor in the demise of CPI and Olan Mills has little to do with digital photography and more with the economy. These two giants fell for many reasons but we shouldn't overlook the economy and demographics. To do so might spell certain disaster for someone looking to pick up the market left behind.

All of CPI's businesses, Sears Portrait Studio, Picture Me (in Walmart) and Kiddie Kandids right along with Olan Mills targeted the same traditionally profitable market, middle class wage earners.

It would be nice to think that once the discounters are out of business, all those people would willing to pony up to the realistic price for photography, even standard quality basic work. Happy thought. But there weren't enough people in that low price market to keep any business alive, that's why they are gone. The people shopping at Sears and Walmart/K-Mart today are not the same as the ones who shopped there decades ago. We're not disparaging anyone here. Sears shoppers used to be the fabric of the nation, the middle class, the consumers. It made good sense to put a portrait studio in Sears, that's where mom's took kids to buy everything (Wasn't that's Sears slogan for years, "Sears has everything"). The economy pressed the middle class downward and nowadays the people shopping there are mostly people who don't have money to spare for luxury stuff like portraits.

We've got much smaller markets today. People who have money to spend, have options same as always and their numbers remain about where they've always been. It's the people who don't have expendable income that has grown. The portrait business went down the discount road to the dead-end.

I think the people who don't have money to spend on expensive photography will turn to the hobbyists and the people who do are going to be looking for exclusive quality photographers. Welcome to the two economic class America.

Facebook

Camel Equine Group

My Equine Album

Fireworks Album

Steven G Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013   #3
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 19116378
Editing OK?: No

There is a thread going in the Photography forum about this as well I am going to ask that it be merged with this one.
Old 04-06-2013   #4
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 5188665
Editing OK?: Ask First

Please see my post in the thread "The Giants Fall".
Old 04-08-2013   #5
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 178206

For years I have heard "the Wall Mart shoppers are not my clients" rant. If that is true I doubt the news or it's effects will have anything to do with the photographers in this group.

www.craigblankphoto.com
Sketch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013   #6
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 497479

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sketch View Post
For years I have heard "the Wall Mart shoppers are not my clients" rant. If that is true I doubt the news or it's effects will have anything to do with the photographers in this group.
Perhaps some might want to work up to them, now that there's a void above.

Korman
korman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013   #7
Camel Breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by korman View Post

Korman
+1

Facebook

Camel Equine Group

My Equine Album

Fireworks Album

Old 04-08-2013   #8
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 178206

Quote:
Originally Posted by korman View Post

Korman
That would be excellent. At least we now know that there is no money in renting out space from Sears or Wallmart. A new business model is exciting stuff. I wish the best and I am here to help for folks trying to figure it out.

www.craigblankphoto.com
Sketch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013   #9
Camel Breath

It's too bad independent photographers can't lease those spaces at a cost fits the true income. Makes me wonder how much money there is in the nail salon business and hair cutting/styling. I think the hair salon is a franchise but several Walmarts have nail shops that don't appear to be.

Facebook

Camel Equine Group

My Equine Album

Fireworks Album

Old 04-08-2013   #10
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 497479

Around here in central Europe, things might be different, but I have the impression, that some of the in-store shops in supermarkets are rotating quite quickly. I wouldn't rule it out, that many of those operators are caught in over-optimistic calculations and end up in debt, when they figure out that the location deal isn't as sweet and easy as they assumed.

Korman

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Tools Of the Trade > Business of Photography »

Share this topic: