Outside the box.
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Black & White

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2018   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 215454
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Outside the box.

I have always been fascinated with my family history and from time to time pull out my box of old pictures that I have collected as my people moved on to the next phase.

It has occured to me that keeping these memories of my family history in the shoebox was totally a waste.

The images are art and history created by family members so we don't have a forgotten past, so this composite image is in way off letting others look at what is in the box.

Mike

West coast Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018   #2
Llama

CamelKarma: 792881
Editing OK?: Ask First
Default Re: Outside the box.

I like the shot of the young girl with the dog for its less formal look. Not to take away from the significance of the other pictures.

When my father passed, I got a large box of slides from his current wife. Most I threw out, but I scanned a couple hundred of them to put on DVD.
Gregw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018   #3
Vicuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregw View Post
I like the shot of the young girl with the dog for its less formal look. Not to take away from the significance of the other pictures.

The picture of Judy and the dog was taken on the family farm, in the late forties, and it is one of my favorites!

When my father passed, I got a large box of slides from his current wife. Most I threw out, but I scanned a couple hundred of them to put on DVD.
Glad to hear that they are safe on dvd.

Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img168.jpg (133.5 KB, 33 views)
Old 02-11-2018   #4
Llama

CamelKarma: 792881

Thanks for posting that shot bigger. Kinda looks 40's or 50's.
Gregw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018   #5
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 12247602

A great post, Mike. With the passage of time, the number of shoe boxes full of old photos declines and a lot of history and art disappears.
Old 02-12-2018   #6
Vicuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregw View Post
Thanks for posting that shot bigger. Kinda looks 40's or 50's.

Early to mid forties! Judy was born 1939.
Old 02-12-2018   #7
Vicuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellycat View Post
A great post, Mike. With the passage of time, the number of shoe boxes full of old photos declines and a lot of history and art disappears.
Exactly and it's a shame that people don't do more to protect those fragile prints before they are decayed beyond repair.
Old 02-12-2018   #8
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 1543000
Exclamation Re: Outside the box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by West coast Mike View Post
Glad to hear that they are safe on dvd.

Mike
On a DVD? They are the least safe on one of those. ...and I speak from experience. The care necessary to preserve a DVD is far greater than that required for a print or even a film negative. Secondly in as little as 20 years where are you going to be able to view these? The Smithsonian ? Try and find a way of reading a 51/2 floppy. let alone an 8"er. Oh yeah you can do it. but it will cast you an arm and a leg.

Dupe them with digital, re-print and put them in decent albums and 100 years from now people will be able to view them...that is NEVER going to happen for the average families photos. ...don't even bring up the 'cloud'. It exists as long as a few large corporations make money from it, lose money and watch it and all the content go into the Back Hole of Bits.
Didereaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018   #9
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Administrator

CamelKarma: 6968994

Now I need to go find the boxes of prints I have.

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018   #10
Vicuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didereaux View Post
On a DVD? They are the least safe on one of those. ...and I speak from experience. The care necessary to preserve a DVD is far greater than that required for a print or even a film negative. Secondly in as little as 20 years where are you going to be able to view these? The Smithsonian ? Try and find a way of reading a 51/2 floppy. let alone an 8"er. Oh yeah you can do it. but it will cast you an arm and a leg.

Dupe them with digital, re-print and put them in decent albums and 100 years from now people will be able to view them...that is NEVER going to happen for the average families photos. ...don't even bring up the 'cloud'. It exists as long as a few large corporations make money from it, lose money and watch it and all the content go into the Back Hole of Bits.
Well when I say I have them on dvd, that is mainly for easily mailing them to relatives.
In addition to the copies of original scans, corrected psd files, and final JPG files for general use I have full sets of the copies on my work SSD and a mechanical backup HD.

I have 15 year old CDs and DVDs with pictures. software and video that are still viable.
Any type of digital storage is going to be superseded by a different method before it's actual usefulness disappears, CDs and DVDs have been used since the mid-eighties for data storage and are easily readable by almost all computers in use today.
Walmart sells 5.25" floppy disk drives for 20 bucks, so I guess that as long as some form of my digital file storage is maintained continuously my files will accessible for quite a while.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Black & White »

Share this topic: