Bodie - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Black & White

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2018   #11
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 215454
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Bodie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu2scene View Post
Nicely done. I like these a lot.

Looking at them, I want to go and shoot it in IR.
Not much IWO vegetation, but it's worth trying. Thanks for commenting!
West coast Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018   #12
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1469207
Editing OK?: Ask First

A lot more vegetation in these images that perhaps you realize, which in IR will stick out like a sore thumb. There is also a lot of vegetation in the background of this image. The bare ground and the buildings will look much like they do in these images but the vegetation, especially the live vegetation, will go white. in image #1, the stuff under and around the foreground wheel, not to mention the left middle ground, will go white and change the entire look of the image. Blue sky will go dark as if you used a red filter but even more so.
scoundrel1728 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018   #13
Llama

CamelKarma: 36120

Actually the vegetation next to the old buildings and things is what put the IR idea in my head. But now you're making me second guess it. Lol.

Nikon D800, D5500 IR 590nm, D50
nu2scene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018   #14
Vicuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu2scene View Post
Actually the vegetation next to the old buildings and things is what put the IR idea in my head. But now you're making me second guess it. Lol.
I have shot a fair amount of IR and I never had much luck with brown grasslike plants or brush, in my experience it is the chlorophylle laden plants that produce the best HDR images. I must say though I have never shot IR in a high desert environment.

Mike
Old 01-28-2018   #15
Llama

CamelKarma: 1112852

looks good in BW. I was there some 40 years ago, doesn't look like it has changed. Which is a good thing.

There still only one passable road in and out?
Old 01-28-2018   #16
Camel Breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by West coast Mike View Post
I have shot a fair amount of IR and I never had much luck with brown grasslike plants or brush, in my experience it is the chlorophylle laden plants that produce the best HDR images. I must say though I have never shot IR in a high desert environment.
If the grass is completely dead or if it is a woody material without any moss or lichen on it, you may be right. However, it looked to me like some of the grassy parts may still have some green parts in them. These may render as slightly darker than the straw-colored stuff in most visible-light monochrome images but the green stuff will show up as blazing white in infrared, as you probably know.
Old 01-28-2018   #17
Vicuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Promapper View Post
looks good in BW. I was there some 40 years ago, doesn't look like it has changed. Which is a good thing.

There still only one passable road in and out?

Yep, 1 road, last 3 miles will beat the crap out of you if you drive to fast. I was there in late November and there we few people and the weather was comfortable.

Bodie is maintained in what they call a state of arrested decay, It's not rebuilt but kept at the point of decay it was when the state park opened in 1962.

Mike

Last edited by West coast Mike; 01-28-2018 at 07:06 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 01-28-2018   #18
Vicuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoundrel1728 View Post
If the grass is completely dead or if it is a woody material without any moss or lichen on it, you may be right. However, it looked to me like some of the grassy parts may still have some green parts in them. These may render as slightly darker than the straw-colored stuff in most visible-light monochrome images but the green stuff will show up as blazing white in infrared, as you probably know.
Cool, I would like to see your pictures when you get done!
Old 01-28-2018   #19
Camel Breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by West coast Mike View Post
Cool, I would like to see your pictures when you get done!
Probably the closest thing of the sort I have posted so far is in this thread in the infrared forum. I might be able to find something better after a little looking or produce something in a few months, but it will most likely be in the infrared thread. I also have some other stuff on the Camel that I posted before the Infrared forum even existed.

Here are some Yosemite pictures of the same scenes posted by richardpcrowe and me, similar scenes in both infrared and color.
Old 01-29-2018   #20
Llama

CamelKarma: 2493218

There are some fine shots there, but I find more than 2 or 3 pictures in a post a bit overwhelming.

Comments, criticism, and all offers of free beer gratefully accepted...

Caffler on Flickr
Caffler is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Black & White »

Share this topic: