Pololu Valley
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Black & White

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2018   #1
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 12615712
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Pololu Valley

Hawai'i

Canon 7D2, Canon 7D, Canon 30D, Canon 500/4L,Canon 100-400/4.5-5.6L II, Canon 400/5.6L, Canon 70-200/2.8 L II, Canon 100/2.8 Macro, Canon 50/1.8 MkI, Canon 40mm f/2.8 STM,Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Canon 17-55/2.8, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Rokinon 8/3.5 FE, Sigma 1.4 and 2X EX ,Canon 1.4x II and 2x III, Induro CT313 tripod, AT214 tripod, Induro GHB-2 gimbal, Canon 600EX-RT, Canon 430EX, Olympus TG-3
icassell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018   #2
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 2193768
Default Re: Pololu Valley

Gorgeous shot. I'd like to see more details of the closest promontory though. May I suggest trying this tweak; with a new copy of the image, set the history brush to screen mode at around 8 -10% or so and paint the lighter parts of that closest hill (rocks maybe) and perhaps even the white wave fronts between you and that hill. Just to see if that local brightening and contrast boost pleases you.
alanbutler57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018   #3
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 1543000

oooooooooh, that is NICE!
Didereaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018   #4
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 501383
Editing OK?: Yes

I agree with Alan. The image is rather dark and gloomy. The only area approaching pure white is the signature.
Jim Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018   #5
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1469207

Because of the dark rendering, this looks like an early dawn or late dusk shot. Or maybe it is just underexposed. In any case, I wouldn't dare go out into the water in this light if it is anything like the impression an on-site observer would have of the scene.
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018   #6
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 215454
Editing OK?: Yes

Most pics from that state are not this dark, thinking outside of the box!
West coast Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018   #7
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1469207

True enough that most shots of tropic islands are not that dark, which makes this look more like something off the northern Pacific or Atlantic coasts or the British islands. It isn't a mood normally associated with the Hawai'ian Islands. When I think of something off the coast of Hawai'i, or in this case Kawa'i, at night, I think of something more like this:

IMG_8593ras.JPG

2.5 sec, f/1.8, ISO 1600, tungsten white balance. Lightened up about 1 stop with tone curves.

Despite the overall darkness of the image (aside from the lights on the far coast) the foam and breakers in the water don't seem quite as dark as those in the OP's image.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Black & White »

Share this topic: