Egret-Heron Teamwork
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Birds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2009   #1
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 121902
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Egret-Heron Teamwork

You watch upstream, I'll watch downstream....

Ardea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009   #2
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 9058810
Editing OK?: Ask First
Default Re: Egret-Heron Teamwork

Excellent shot. I have devoted a significant amount of time and effort over the past 10 years capturing images of these magnificent birds at our local Nature Preserve. They generally are only in my area for the late spring and summer leaving in the fall. It is rather uncommon for the herons and egrets to stay as close as in your pictures since they seem to want to do a "territorial" joust for control. I do have a few shots of them close together but generally they squawk and chase each other.

Mel
jhawk1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009   #3
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 11349
Editing OK?: Ask first

Neat to see them in close proximity Are you sure this isn't an interaction between a 'Her"-on and a "He"-gret meeting and just wanting to act inconspicuous in case they are spotted by passerbys?

Tom in Iowa

Hidden inside "imagination" is the root word magi (yes as in the three wise men of the nativity story). The magi were considered to be wise men or magicians. Before you snap that next photo, explore your imagination and you will capture more memorable "magi"cal moments in your photography.... Tom in Iowa
Ioway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009   #4
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 121902
Editing OK?: No

Now that you mention it, I do seem to recall hearing whispers and seeing the sides of their mouths moving. I think the heron said "I'll leave now and fly to the third cypress on the right. No, the THIRD. Yeah, that one. You stand here for 60 seconds before you follow. And please, this time don't yell 'Okay pumpkin, here I come!' on your way over."

Ardea is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Birds »

Share this topic: