Bald Eagle feeding chicks in nest
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Birds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #1
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 6817414
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Bald Eagle feeding chicks in nest

This is a shot of a bald eagle feeding its chicks. It was shot, in the rain, with my tripod mounted 5DIV at 1/100 sec, f11, ISO 400, 1/3 EV using a 100-400 lens at 400mm with a 1.4 extender. (Equipment was all covered with a rain jacket.)

The nest is at the top of a burnt tree (forest fire) at the end of Medicine Lake in Jasper National Park, Alberta, Canada.

Relevant questions and comments are welcome.

WesternGuy

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/westernguy/
WesternGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #2
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 44269892
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: Bald Eagle feeding chicks in nest

Nice shot WG
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #3
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1469207
Editing OK?: Ask First

Those eagle aeries are necessarily pretty inaccessible except by air. I assume that, with the 1.4x telextender, the equivalent focal length and aperture is 560 mm @ f/16. I am also assuming that your lens had a tripod collar and the body was turned for vertical ("portrait") format. How well did your rain jacket work in that configuration? and has the image been cropped from the short dimension? If you have not cropped any width from your image, I estimate the camera-to-subject distance at about 50 yards (45 meters).
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #4
F1 Camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gautam View Post
Nice shot WG
Thanks.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #5
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 199623261
Editing OK?: Yes

A nice capture WG.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #6
F1 Camel

Thanks Wolf.

WG

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #7
F1 Camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoundrel1728 View Post
Those eagle aeries are necessarily pretty inaccessible except by air. I assume that, with the 1.4x telextender, the equivalent focal length and aperture is 560 mm @ f/16. I am also assuming that your lens had a tripod collar and the body was turned for vertical ("portrait") format. How well did your rain jacket work in that configuration? and has the image been cropped from the short dimension? If you have not cropped any width from your image, I estimate the camera-to-subject distance at about 50 yards (45 meters).
Scoundrel, to clarify a few things. Yes, the "extended" aperture is 560mm equivalent. This was shot in landscape orientation, but rotated during post. The lens has an extended "foot" attached to it, so mounting it on the tripod wasn't difficult. The rain jacket performed very well. While it was raining, it was a "soft" rain and not one of the heavy down pours that we often get in thunderstorms on the prairies. The image was cropped significantly, but then the 5D has a 30.4 mp sensor, so the cropping seems to work okay as far as detail is concerned.

The camera to subject distance in your calculation was out by a factor of about 8 to 10 - my estimate ( I am not good at estimating long distances in the rain ), but definitely a lot farther than 45 metres.

Hope this helps.

WesternGuy

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #8
Camel Breath

I based my calculations on this reasoning:

The horizontal width of the image on the imager was 24 mm, which is standard for the short dimension of a full-frame camera. If the horizontal dimension had been cropped, these calculations would be off by a corresponding amount. The effective length of the lens was 560 mm. The horizontal field of view divided by the camera-to-subject distance would be the same as the image width (24 mm) divided by the effective focal length of the lens (560 mm).

To measure the horizontal field width, I estimated the eagle's horizontal length from head to tail feathers at about 16 inches. By some crude measurements, I estimated the horizontal field of view at the eagle's distance to be about 80 inches, or 2.0 meters. Plugging these numbers in gave 46-2/3 meters. I figure that I may be off by a factor of maybe 2, but not as much as 10.
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #9
F1 Camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoundrel1728 View Post
I based my calculations on this reasoning:

The horizontal width of the image on the imager was 24 mm, which is standard for the short dimension of a full-frame camera. If the horizontal dimension had been cropped, these calculations would be off by a corresponding amount. The effective length of the lens was 560 mm. The horizontal field of view divided by the camera-to-subject distance would be the same as the image width (24 mm) divided by the effective focal length of the lens (560 mm).

To measure the horizontal field width, I estimated the eagle's horizontal length from head to tail feathers at about 16 inches. By some crude measurements, I estimated the horizontal field of view at the eagle's distance to be about 80 inches, or 2.0 meters. Plugging these numbers in gave 46-2/3 meters. I figure that I may be off by a factor of maybe 2, but not as much as 10.
Ten may be a little high, but I am pretty sure that I was a lot further away than 45 ± metres. Regardless, I am unclear as to the point you are trying to make.

WG

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #10
Camel Breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternGuy View Post
I am unclear as to the point you are trying to make.

WG
In your original post, you included quite a few technical details, even besides the basics, i.e., it was raining but fairly lightly, hence you were using a rain cape. This invited me to attempt to put myself in your place to determine whether I would have done with my own equipment, or perhaps with your equipment, what modifications I would have made, hence the questions about what orientation the camera body was in and how well the rain cape performed in the (assumed) portrait position.

Lenses of that focal length typically have a tripod collar with a long mounting foot, as yours does, and can be rotated in the collar to allow shooting in the portrait position without throwing the tripod too far off balance. However, this would put the rain cape in an awkward position. You apparently avoided by keeping the camera in the landscape orientation, but at the cost of sacrificing much of the camera's useful image area to shoot this vertical image and requiring a more drastic crop than I was expecting; but if you were farther away than I figured, you would have needed to crop that much anyway. Even so, the resolution is still good enough for web display. Whether you (or I) would see fit to print it out and hang it on the wall is another matter, especially if you were really as far away as you thought. There are also some esthetic problems as well that you couldn't be expected to improve without a great deal of effort, and even if you did, you would also compromise the documentary authenticity of the photo to an extent that is not generally tolerated in wildlife photos.

For these reasons I cannot honestly say "Great job!" but I doubt that I could have done any better. Then again, sometimes we keep shots like this for sentimental value or other reasons that transcend their shortcomings as "good" photographs. I know that I sometimes do that.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Birds »

Share this topic: