Better Beamer - Page 3
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Birds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2012   #21
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10133
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Better Beamer

Quote:
BB and red-eye - yes you will get that irrespective of bird size. I dont use the flash and/or the bb much but the few times I have the flash had to be powered down to 1/8 or lower to mitigate the effects of the red-eye. That said, fill flash is an excellent way to go for shooting backlit subjects.
I use an off camera bracket for my flash. makes a big difference to steel eye and red eye.
having said that, you still get red eye at night when photographing owls.
avkomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012   #22
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 56124
Editing OK?: Ask First

Thanks, folks. I know Art Morris uses TTL, but you're right about the pre-flash contributing to closed lids and skittish behavior. Manual may be the preferred way, as I'm going to start out with a fixed perch.
The Wimberly flash arm should be here Friday, as well the Better Beamer for the SB900. BB directions say to use the zoom head at 50mm. Is that what you find? Or have to tweaked it a little wider or narrower?
I appreciate all the tips and info!
trapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012   #23
Alpaca

Quote:
BB directions say to use the zoom head at 50mm
I use 50 mm as advertised and is what you should do also,
I did some tests against a wall when I got the beamer and I used a wide angle lens so that I could see the entire flash pattern on the wall.
I found that I could get the beam tighter by using less zoom. the killer with that was that alignment was way more critical.
the idea of using 50mm is that you can use the flash over a range of distances without having to readjust where it is pointing.
50 is adequate for everything i ever did
avkomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012   #24
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 285873

avkomp - I'd love to see some of your results shooting birds with the BB. You obviously have a good bit of experience with it. Looked to see if you had a gallery here then saw you've only recently started posting. WELCOME to the Birds forum!! I found your tiger and kangaroo shots ... VERY NICE! I expect some birds from would be a treat for all of us.

Mark
Old 09-05-2012   #25
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 56124
Editing OK?: Ask First

Quote:
Originally Posted by avkomp View Post
I use 50 mm as advertised and is what you should do also
50 is adequate for everything i ever did
Thank you!
trapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012   #26
Alpaca

Quote:
Looked to see if you had a gallery here then saw you've only recently started posting
have fairly extensive experience in nature photography and birds in particular though.
used to run a forum too and there was some politics and that was that.
if you looked at the properties of the images I posted, you should be able to find the gallery.
will look at my profile and see if I can add my website to that also

I dont do politics, clicky groups etc, dont kiss butt etc. I call it as I see it.
some people post to get sunshine blown their way etc and didnt like honest critique of their pix.

dont post to forums much these days as all this left a rather bad taste in my mouth.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Birds »

Share this topic: