Ideal time to catch owl? Mid Atlantic NE
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Birds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2011   #1
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 7324142
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Ideal time to catch owl? Mid Atlantic NE

Just a general question if anyone knows around that time range would be the optimal to spot owls? I have only had two encounters in the past 4yrs in the wild. Both encounters where early morning. So I was wondering what is there natural habitat in the north east do they like do they prefer wooded areas or corn fields?

Old 12-09-2011   #2
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 15515
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: Ideal time to catch owl? Mid Atlantic NE

My limited experience says in thick forest at sunrise or sunset. That's out in the plains, I've only passed through the north east.
HTH

You are who you choose to be, are you who you want to be?
Gene243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011   #3
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 19702

Provo - the answer is it depends. Owls are frequently the busiest a night, the y like to hunt with the cover of night. That said they are most active and visible the hours around sun rise and sun set.

Scott

My new photo blog: http://www.buckelphotography.com/blog
ScottBuckel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011   #4
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 6963590

While I've never set out to shoot any, around here when you see them it's usually on the edge of the woods at the end of the afternoon. It's not terribly uncommon this time of year for me to see them sitting in the road. I thought I was gonna hit one the other night!
scatterbrained is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011   #5
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 7324142

Cool thanks for the info everyone will have to see if I spot any around these times
reason I had also asked is because talking to 1 photographer I ran into gave me two locations for horned owls and its not even 5 miles away from the house
_Provo_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011   #6
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 31

Most owls are most active at dawn and dusk. Though many will hunt all night, they are most hungry and willing to move around during these times. It's ironic that you will also see the most activity of diurnal birds of prey at the same time. For owls, they start there hunt when it starts to get dark and are hungry from the day so they are more active in finding food. Then in the morning, their hunting time is drawing to a close so they'll become more active again to get a last meal in before the day starts and they turn in.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Birds »

Share this topic: