Gimp anyone?
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Birds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2011   #1
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 456458
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Gimp anyone?

Long story short... had an message from Adobe kindly telling me that I was conned when I bought CS4 10 months ago and that I have been using an illegal copy.
So it looks like I was conned for $300... which is bad enough, but Adobe will not sell me CS4 - they will only sell the latest version which is CS5 (at $700) and well out of my range right now!

So while I do some research (and get other peoples opinions) for an editing package I have downloaded Gimp and will try and learn how to use it.

I have 2 questions...

1) Any suggestions for editing software?
2) Anybody using Gimp that can translate Kevin's awesome workflow in the sticky above?

Very sad day....

Old 12-09-2011   #2
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 44269403
Default Re: Gimp anyone?

Sorry to hear about your troubles Alex.

I am using GIMP for many years now but under Linux. There are some minor differences with Windows version. An alternative to GIMP is Paintshop Pro which is not that expensive but I think functionally better than GIMP. It has a built-in noise reduction function which GIMP lacks.

The workflow in GIMP will be very similar to what Kevin has described. All those functions are available in GIMP. I guess you will continue to do you raw conversion in LR. However, take a look at UFRAW. You can call up GIMP from within it.
Old 12-09-2011   #3
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 29788235

Hi Alex, Sorry to hear your ptoblem and that sucks. I had a similar problem with Garmin software.

I use photoshop elements for my final editing, its worth looking at maybe
Luckyjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011   #4
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 13655016

Alex, I use Gimp and it is a very useful program. There is a skin called gimpshop that makes it a little closer to PS. Also a plugin ufraw for raw pics. It doesnt cost anything to try and there are tutorials online.

Currently I use lightroom for most of my processing and have seen it recently for as low as $99. There are short turorials available on the Adobe website:

AdobeTV | Getting Started with Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3

Good luck!
Old 12-09-2011   #5
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 285873

I bought PhotoPlus X4 by Serif a UK based company for about $10. After reading about it it was a deal I could not pass up. With the idea of just trying it out of curiosity. I have not yet installed it, but have spent a good mount of time reading the user guide and from that I am quite impressed. It seems VERY MUCH like a Photoshop clone with many nearly identical terms used for functions and tools. Upgrade path aside it might be a better choice than Elements because of command and operational similarity.

I Googled their website and see it on sale for 9.99 "L" inc VAT. Not sure how that translates to dollars. The BIG question I have at this point about it is, "If it's GOOD why isn't it well know and spoke of?" I've seen very few references to it in the photo editing forums I've frequented.

Sorry to hear of your problems with CS4. I used less than legal Photoshop getting it already installed on a used PC I bought. After I bought a new PC I went legal by first getting Elements 8 on sale for about $50 (as I recall) then a few months later doing a $300 upgrade to CS5.

I looked at GIMP a couple years ago and it just didn't feel right to me. I also bought and used a recent version of Corel Paint Shop Pro X3 I think and found it quite capable, but I struggled to find similar functions and features that I was used to using in Photoshop. And, actually for a couple things I liked X3 better than Photoshop or Elements, but in the end gave it up to go back CS3 which at that time I was used to using.

But in the long run considering the major amount of time I've spent (invested in) with Photoshop both at work and home I decided it is the best option for me. It's high cost no longer makes me shudder as is seems reasonable compared to all the wasted bucks I've spent on camera gear that quickly came and went.

I think "time spent getting experience" ought to be a major consideration when thinking long term on the purchase of edit software. Also you have to realize Photoshop has HUGE resources for learning tools and useful add-ons like Topaz plug-ins. In that regard none of the competition can touch it.

My suggestion would be to try to get a CS5 student discount which makes it very affordable. See if you have a local jr college that qualifies and offers night classes or something like that. Sign-up take a few classes get the program cheap along with hands-on training and local connections with fellow photogs!

Mark
Old 12-09-2011   #6
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 19702

I used GIMP a couple of times and it just did not seem to feel right. I would recommend Photoshop Elements. I just started using it as a cheaper alternative to the full version of Photoshop to teach.

Scott

My new photo blog: http://www.buckelphotography.com/blog
ScottBuckel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011   #7
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 937083
Editing OK?: Ask First

Serif is a good program.

BTW...My real name is Dori!

http://photocamel.com/forum/pets/
Mira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011   #8
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 44269403

Alex, what Mark has pointed out is very important - the familiarity. Most of the image editing softwares have all the basic and in some cases advanced functions but familiarity makes one easier to use over the others. Interestingly, when I tried PS-Elements which came free with my scanner, I found it quite awkward simply because I was not familiar with it.
Old 12-10-2011   #9
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 456458

So, after trying GIMP for the day I found it very frustrating... I am sure it is a very valuable package and definitely don't want to bash it, but with a crying baby in the house I found I simply could not concentrate on learning the new platform.
In exasperation (granted I did not give it very long) I succumbed and purchased Elements 10. I upgraded to CS4 from Elements 7 so I am comfortable with the program and should be posting again as soon as I get another day off... I have an image of a kestrel eating a mouse that I am very keen to work on!

So Merry Xmas to me! My gift this year is Elements 10
uk2usa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011   #10
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 7847

Corel Paint Shop Pro is on sale for $60. It will do most of what PhotoShop does and the look and feel is similar. It works with RAW files and you can use PS plugins with it. I used various versions of it for 10 or so years and had few complaints (it crashes every now and then, so save your work often).

Edit: I didn't see your post above. Never mind.

Induro [AT313 tripod] [AM25 monopod] [GHB2 gimbal head]
Canon [F1-n] [A-1] [various FD lenses] (retired)
ScubaDude is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Birds »

Share this topic: