Goldfinch - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Birds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2011   #11
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 46181528
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Goldfinch

Great shot jj and the 2nd looks much better IMO. Only other thing I would do is dodge the eye in photoshop to make it a little bit brighter, but don't over do it.

www.kevinagar.uk

My flickr site

Bird Life List 1241
Bird Photographed Life List 1050
Canon 7DMkII, 7D, 500L F4.0, 100-400L, 1.4 Extender, Speedlite 430EXII
Frogstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011   #12
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 4669529
Editing OK?: Yes

Excellent shot.
bobobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011   #13
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 19578623

Thank you John, Gil, Gautam, Kevin and Bobo for the kind words and the great input.

jj
Old 12-04-2011   #14
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Ask first

Separate from exposure and processing, consider providing a more natural looking place for your birds to perch. Personally, I find it more interesting (less contrived or staged) if it is not so obvious you lured them to pose.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Evening Grosbeak.jpg (143.3 KB, 15 views)
Phil Bick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011   #15
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 29788235

Hi Phil, may I first offer you my welcome here and really look forward to seeing more photos from you.
Albeit I do agree with your comments, but sometimes we all have to take what we get, recently I posted a post of my first of the seasons Starling, it was on a wire, I hate wire shots, but thats what I got.
JJ photo worked fine for myself and I found it interesting to see others comments about the colour and saturation balance.

I see you chose on editing your photos, "ask first" and of course I'm just fine with that. But when respecting this I also personally do not think it so polite to post one of my photos on another members post. Its better to open a new thread.

I do of course understand the point you wished to make.

Your picture is really a pleasure to view, but like myself on some of my photos I'm told I have cropped too tight, you also have maybe just cropped a little too tight also and you have an over exposure on the birds beak and the birds tail is OOF.

I see that you are using a Canon 7D I'm thinking to swap my 50D for a 7D so I'm really hoping to see more photos from you.
Happy birding
Luckyjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011   #16
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Ask first

My sincere apologies if I offended anyone or breached any accepted protocols.

I am still not sure what “Editing OK?” actually refers to, but must be have been a default value when I first signed up.

I did not intend to distract attention to the OP’s pictures or post, only to provide addition information for consideration.

Yes, the picture I provided was a very close crop, but was only meant to provide an example for my suggestion. I realize we can’t always make the capture in the most natural of settings and nothing can be done about it, but sometimes there are thing we can do. This particular picture was actually taken on my back deck where, like the OP, I used feeders to attract the birds. (I actually thought about posting one of a gold finch which was not as tight, but thought better of that!) I tied a branch to the railing providing a more natural perch for my subjects. This approach might be adapted to work for anyone who puts out feeders to attract birds.

Luckyjon - Thanks for bringing to my attention those things I did wrong so nicely, and for your kind words. Again no offense was intended, but was done out of my own ignorance.

If the OP wishes me to remove the picture from my post I will be happy to comply.
Phil Bick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011   #17
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 29788235

Hi Phil, Please, I dont think there is any need for you to remove your photo or comments from this post, plus I truly appreciate your response.

Myself and many others have become close friends in this forum and for me its been also a learning curve and I believe also for many of others.

I'm so pleased that you are onboard and hope we can share many experiences together with all here.

I'm really looking forward to seeing more from you, so in your winter months, wrap up and get your camera ready to show us all more from your part of the globe
Luckyjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011   #18
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 19578623

Phil, just want to say welcome to the Camel and looking forward to your posts.

jj

jjdog2 is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Birds »

Share this topic: