I am beginning to enjoy shooting from the car! - Page 3
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Birds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2011   #21
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 937083
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: I am beginning to enjoy shooting from the car!

Very, very well done!!!

BTW...My real name is Dori!

http://photocamel.com/forum/pets/
Mira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011   #22
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 285873
Editing OK?: Yes

Alex- Nice shots and shooting story. Sure DO LIKE that Quail!

I too frequently shoot from my car window and am fortunate to have some good birding habitat along seldom used roads. A beanbag or some other sort of pad is something I ought to have available to try though I'm afraid using it would slow me down too much and risk missing shots. I bought a suction cup device with ball-head positioning to use to attach a small point & shoot size camera to the car window and have used it a couple times successfully with my Canon SX30 superzoom which is very light weight for a long reach shooter. It's slow and awkward for me though partly because my neck and upper body is not very flexible. The beanbag sounds like a much better option.

I've found staying in the vehicle is usually best, as often as soon as I open the door off they go! It also happened once I lost an opportunity when I slammed the door on my way out as a egret flushed from the edge of the lake below where I'd parked. It hadn't seen or heard me until then.

Mark
Old 11-30-2011   #23
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 431625
Editing OK?: Ask First

Real nice series Alex. Enjoyed them all, but I really like the meadowlark. Sharp, great detail, nice pose, and background.
Well done.
Old 12-01-2011   #24
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 13655016

Alex, excellent colleciton there I also like the meadowlark and the quail. Two birds I have been looking for for years now and not found in my neighborhood. So I am extra appreciative of you getting these fine shots.

Many of my shots are from the car window, I think birds are accustomed to seeing cars and dont feel threatened. I also dont have a beanbag, have scoffed at the prices but will give in this year.
Old 12-01-2011   #25
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 7809
Editing OK?: Ask first

Lovely series and I am totally impressed. I am even thinking I need to start "birding" a little for fun. The only thing that will be a problem is that I don't have a super long lens. I have an 80-200 f2.8 so my reach won't be nearly as good as what you have here.

"If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera." - Lewis Hine

"To practice any art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow. So do it." - Kurt Vonnegut
flutterbydragonfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011   #26
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1443426
Editing OK?: No

great series
RobAmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011   #27
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 7847

Excellent shots, all of them. I'd have to vote for the meadowlark, too... good eye contact and a pose that says, "ready for action."

Induro [AT313 tripod] [AM25 monopod] [GHB2 gimbal head]
Canon [F1-n] [A-1] [various FD lenses] (retired)
ScubaDude is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Birds »

Share this topic: