Different Blue Heron's
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Birds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2011   #1
Llama

CamelKarma: 71617
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Different Blue Heron's

Whats the difference with these two Heron's....Age, breeding plumage, male/female, slightly different breeds, etc....Most I have shots of don't have the distinct coloring that photo 2 has....Anyone know....

File Type: jpg blueheron.jpg (177.9 KB, 28 views)
Old 04-26-2011   #2
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 7324142
Editing OK?: Ask First
Default Re: Different Blue Heron's

I don't know jack except it's a heron
But I have seen one up here in Princeton that has yellow on top of it's head instead of that dark blue. Been trying to get a snapshot of it.

Anyhow good captures
_Provo_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011   #3
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 5303
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: Different Blue Heron's

Good question John The second bird is displaying what an adult GBH's breeding plumage should look like. Notice the plumes on the head, neck, and back. Also notice the brighter colors in the feathers. Both of these birds are adults. Other than males being generally larger and having longer bills, the male and female heron look very much the same. During the breeding season, both males and females will have the plumes and brighter colors.

C&C always appreciated

Different North American Bird Species Photographed - 278

Birds a “best of” series
http://www.whatatripblog.com/Images/...rds/index.html

Our travel website
http://www.whatatripblog.com/
thooten122 is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Birds »

Share this topic: