'Say it with birds' - for Bonsaidad
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Birds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2011   #1
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 46155364
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default 'Say it with birds' - for Bonsaidad

My final conversation with Paul was about the subject of the next challenge. Due to the sad circumstances I feel that we should change the subject of this months challenge. The saying goes 'say it with flower' but on this forum I think we should 'say it with birds'. So for this month post your shots and comments that you think would have been appreciated by Paul and lets make this a very long thread. I'll start it off with a few shots of the garden birds that Paul liked to practice on. Thanks for bringing some light into our lives Paul
1. Blue Tit
2. Greenfinch
3. Robin
4. Great Tit
5. Chaffinch
6. Magpie

File Type: jpg IMG_0731.jpg (169.7 KB, 235 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1129.jpg (160.1 KB, 235 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1169.jpg (144.4 KB, 233 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1343.jpg (160.5 KB, 230 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2031.jpg (179.2 KB, 229 views)

www.kevinagar.uk

My flickr site

Bird Life List 1231
Bird Photographed Life List 1038
Canon 7DMkII, 7D, 500L F4.0, 100-400L, 1.4 Extender, Speedlite 430EXII

Last edited by Frogstar; 02-03-2011 at 01:31 PM.. Reason: spelling
Frogstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011   #2
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 937083
Default Re: 'Say it with birds' - for Bonsaidad

Beautiful shots, all
Mira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011   #3
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 4517585
Editing OK?: Yes

Goodbye Paul

You will be missed
Colin

The quickest way to make money at photography is to sell your camera

http://www.flickr.com/photos/59471898@N04/
cogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011   #4
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 11349
Editing OK?: Ask first

If Paul (Bonsaidad) saw my name on a photo thread, he would expect to see a bald eagle image from Iowa. As a commemorative thread submission, I will use a wild bald eagle flight shot with the wings lifted and starting to unfold. In this position, I like to think that the appearance of the wings is not unlike what many people imagine angel wings to look like.

The text is from Isaiah 40:31 “they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint”.

My Camel screen name, Ioway, is derived from the name of the Indians for which the state of Iowa is named. Years ago the Ioway Indians inhabited and ruled over the area in which I photograph the wild bald eagles. The Ioway Indians revered the soaring raptors which could sail high into the sky, almost effortlessly, until they were out of sight. It was a native belief that when a tribe member died, their spirit was transported on the long journey to the heavens by the powerful raptors. The stars seen overhead at night were the campfires of the spirits making stopovers along the way on that long heavenly journey.

The next time that you are out at night and see any stars twinkling overhead in the dark sky, you might think of Paul and remember him on his spiritual journey. I am not a member of the Ioway tribe, but I like to think that Paul and the rest of us just might see eagles in the afterlife as suggested by Ioway Indian lore or the verse quoted above.

(I like Kevin's idea of saying it with bird pictures, but Paul knew me well enough to expect a narrative of some sort to go with one of my posts.)

Tom in Iowa
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_7792-Edit-copy9a4x6wPC.jpg (157.0 KB, 213 views)

Hidden inside "imagination" is the root word magi (yes as in the three wise men of the nativity story). The magi were considered to be wise men or magicians. Before you snap that next photo, explore your imagination and you will capture more memorable "magi"cal moments in your photography.... Tom in Iowa
Ioway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011   #5
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1200264

I opened this thread up and have to admit my eyes welled up.. You guys know how to tribute. Kevin, i think it was your songbird shots that truly inspired him. Colin, that made me smile and cry.. and Tom, your narratives are what raise your craft to another level.. I'm sure he is smiling upon us now..

Here are a few I felt fitting...

"Leap of Faith"

"In God's Warmth"

"Mourning at Sunset"

Paul... you will be missed

As always C&C welcome and appreciated

Cam: Nikon D300s, D90
Lenses: Nikon 18-135, 70-300VR, Nikon 300mm 2.8 AF-S, Nikon 50mm 1.8G AF-S, Nikon TC14E-II, Tamron 90mm 2.8
Nikon 12-24 f/4G, Nikon SB-600 Flash
Manfrotto 393

My Flickr Page

My Facebook Page
bill_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011   #6
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 937083

I am so sorry to hear about Bonsaidad's passing...My contribution...

Mira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011   #7
Llama

CamelKarma: 1048898

It seems only Fitting for me to share a photo from my Garden,for Paul.

Paul,My life was blessed,by our paths having crossed,the world has lost a good man.

Canon T2i ,Canon 18-135 ,Sigma 70-210
http://www.flickr.com/photos/keakaphoto/

https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/...65895053421461
Clyde C Hopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011   #8
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 2564

This was one from last Nov. that Paul liked.
Just like him, flying into the sunset.

Jeff
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Smart Geese.jpg (38.7 KB, 193 views)
Jeff D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011   #9
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 1234
Editing OK?: No

Rest in peace Paul.

Steve R
Steve R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011   #10
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 11349
Editing OK?: Ask first

The Winter Migration

I am fortunate that I live in a geographical region that hosts a winter migration of wild bald eagles. I do not fully understand how they find their way here. It is a mystery to me what calls them to this corner of the map at just the right time of year. I recognize that I enjoy their presence during the winter months as the bright yellow of their eyes, beaks and talons add a splash of color against the white winter snow scenery of Iowa. I enjoy how the wing feathers of the bald eagle display a surprising spectrum of warm colors when illuminated by the morning light. I find it almost enchanting to listen to the distinctive call of the wild eagles echo down the valleys throughout the season of the winter migration.

I wonder if a parallel might be drawn between the winter migrations of the bald eagles to the times spent on earth with people who cross our paths? While we might never know what brings them our way, or even for how long a season they will be here, we can enjoy their presence and benefit by trying to get to know them a little bit better.

Tom in Iowa

Hidden inside "imagination" is the root word magi (yes as in the three wise men of the nativity story). The magi were considered to be wise men or magicians. Before you snap that next photo, explore your imagination and you will capture more memorable "magi"cal moments in your photography.... Tom in Iowa
Ioway is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Birds »

Share this topic: