Workflow for Bird Photography - Page 3
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Birds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2011   #21
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 46155364
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Workflow for Bird Photography

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogs View Post
Hi Kevin
I can only see a demo edition on that site thats free
AM I looking in the wrong place
Or is the demo good enough for starting out
Colin
Colin, the demo version works but obviously has a few restrictions. It's the standalone version, can only do a couple of images at a time etc. look at Neat Image 32-bit /Win :: feature map to see the differences.

www.kevinagar.uk

My flickr site

Bird Life List 1231
Bird Photographed Life List 1038
Canon 7DMkII, 7D, 500L F4.0, 100-400L, 1.4 Extender, Speedlite 430EXII
Frogstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011   #22
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 652

Thanks Kevin, made an action similar to yours except I decided to do my noise reduction prior to the action. Works great for resized images
Now I just gotta get my full size ones to sharpen up as clear and sharp as the resized ones

Canon 50D (Gripped)

Canon 50mm, 17-85mm IS

Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, 180mm Macro HSM, 150-500 OS HSM
Speedlite 430 EXII

Manfrotto 190XPROB + 460MG, 679B + 486RC2

http://www.flickr.com/symrat
symrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011   #23
Llama

CamelKarma: 753364

Nice information
Interresting everyones workflow.

Is it allowed to put mine also?
Bakkery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011   #24
Camel Breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakkery View Post
Nice information
Interresting everyones workflow.

Is it allowed to put mine also?
Japp, the whole purpose of this thread was to learn what workflows were used and for us all to learn, so please post your workflow.

www.kevinagar.uk

My flickr site

Bird Life List 1231
Old 03-16-2011   #25
Llama

CamelKarma: 753364

Oke here is my workflow:
open the RAW and look at the WB,put normaly contrast/vitality and saturation on 7.
Than I open the picture and make my excision look at highlights/shadows and use the stamp tool if neccesary.
Oke now,I select the bird;if there is some noise I turn the selection and remove it.
Turn the selection again and make a new layer,use the tool under(layer mask add) then right mouse click on the chain what you see at layer1 and add the mask to the selection.
Make a copy for background.
Than sharp 250%-0.5(0.6)-2 ; make your pic 800x600 or what you use in a few steps.
Than choose reproduction and choose actual pixels.
Than sharp again in 250%-0.2 (0.3)-2
Increases the pic to 100% or something to see what happening.

Than use the erasure tool and go round the bird and the things you sharped (for the halo)
And use the tool for the hard lines,like wing feathers.

Sorry again for my words,I really hope you can read and understand.
But are there questions ask me.

Lots of success !!

Jaap
Bakkery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011   #26
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Yes
Wink Re: Workflow for Bird Photography

Hey Kevin,

Thanks for the work flow. It really makes the birds Pop!

I print most of my photos most of the time to 8 x 10 but many times as big as 16 x 24. How would change the work flow if you wanted the the highest quality print possible?

Thanks,
Randy Stephens
randy.stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011   #27
Camel Breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy.stephens View Post
Hey Kevin,

Thanks for the work flow. It really makes the birds Pop!

I print most of my photos most of the time to 8 x 10 but many times as big as 16 x 24. How would change the work flow if you wanted the the highest quality print possible?

Thanks,
Randy Stephens
Hi Randy
I'm sorry I don't do a lot of printing these days but what printing I do is always with Qimage from Qimage Professional Quality Batch Photo Printing Software I've found the printed images I get from this to be fantastic. I would still do the noise reduction and curves layers but would change the sharpening to 300/0.3/0 just to counter the effects of the filter on the sensor. This is a Canon recommendation for their cameras. All other sharpening is done by Qimage.

www.kevinagar.uk

My flickr site

Bird Life List 1231
Old 05-02-2011   #28
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 99
Editing OK?: Ask first

OMG!!! i tried this and my picture came out awlful ill keep at it but half the time i have no idea what your talking about lol
evol_bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011   #29
Vicuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogstar View Post
Iíve been asked to start a sticky thread that will help members with their workflow and to encourage others to post their workflows and tips for processing the images from the camera. This is just my workflow, itís not perfect and many will think itís too much effort, but each to their own. It takes me less than 30 seconds to process for the web after I generated the action so I personally think itís very little effort. If anyone has any suggestions for improving it or even totally changing it for the better, then please do so. I have started from the point where the images are downloaded from the camera. I will think about starting another sticky thread for the actual capturing of the shots, camera settings, composition, cropping etc, if members want it. So...........
Import images directly from the camera using Lightroom 2.6
I do this in preference to removing the card and placing the card in a card reader. Donít see it makes a lot of difference.
As I shoot exclusively in RAW I import into a specific location using the following syntax
D:/MyPictures/2010/02 February/28 Fairburn Ings/28 Fairburn Ings_RAW
All My Documents are on a 1TByte RAID which is a separate disk to the system disk. They are also automatically copied to a 2TByte network drive for further redundancy and I copy to DVD once a month. I still need to think about off site storage incase my house burns down.
Once in Lightroom I then go through all images and tag them as rejected or picked. I donít delete the rejected yet. All images are given keywords which are usually Ė birds, type of bird, where taken. These Tags can be used to generate different collections in Lightroom.
I also put the bird name into the Caption field as it is used on my web site.

I now work on individual images
1.Crop Ė I like to keep the same aspect ration as comes out of the camera, namely 3x2. This is just a personal preference as I think 3X2 is aesthetically pleasing to the eye.
2.Basic adjustments. Ė
I will try the Auto button to see what it gives but will normally reset and do things my way
I try to get as much as possible out of the image, which is why I shoot RAW. I use the histogram and switch on the clipping indicators.
I donít do any sharpening or noise reduction in LR.
I generally do Vibrance 32 and Saturation 1, or sometime Saturation 10, as there is nothing done in camera, depending on what Iíve taken a picture of.

All picked images are now exported as jpg into the folder above the RAW files. I donít bother with tiff as I have the RAW files if needed.
So D:/MyPictures/2010/02 February/28 Fairburn Ings/28 Fairburn Ings_RAW
will be put into folder D:/MyPictures/2010/02 February/28 Fairburn Ings
These photos are there so my wife can look through them all on the netdrive otherwise she feels neglected.

Still in Lightroom I decide which shots Iím going to put on the web and from here I import them into Photoshop CS5 and do all of the following in an action. This is one click and takes less than 30 seconds to run.
1.Run the image through neatimage to remove the noise Ė I use profiles for my camera from the neatimage website most of the time.
2.Add a curves adjustment layer and change the curve to an S shape. Set the blending mode to Luminosity
3. Add another curves adjustment layer and change the bottom of the curve to input 10 output 0 and top of the curve to input 245 output 255. Set the blending mode to Colour.
4. Flatten the image.
5. Resized the image to 1667 pixels on the long side and restrained proportions
Unsharp mask 300, 0.6, 0
6. Duplicate the layer
Unsharp mask 200, 0.4, 0 The image will look completely wrong and very oversharpened but donít worry.
7. Set the opacity of the top layer that has been sharpened twice to 60%
8. Resized the image to 1000 pixels on the long side and restrained proportions
9. Smart sharpen 80, 0.2, 0 remove gausian blur selected
10. Flatten image
11. Save as and change the quality so that the size is acceptable to photocamel. I do it this way in preference to Save for Web because it keeps the exif information intact. I will probable add to this post and hopefully others will put in their $0.02 worth.
So here are the results.
1. Straight from the camera
2. Cropped and Lightroom adjustments of #1
3. Web action for noise reduction, improved contrast and sharpening of #2
4. Another run of noise reduction of #3
5. Straight from Camera
6. Final Image of #5
how about a video ?
Old 05-04-2011   #30
Vicuna

i tried and got this

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Birds »

Share this topic: