Critiquing..
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Birds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2010   #1
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1200264
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Critiquing..

We all do it, and I’m no exception. Seems we have gotten complacent on the bird forum about giving proper critique. Maybe it’s just because we don’t want to hurt anyone’s feelings, or we don’t feel we are qualified to pick apart someone else’s work, but this is the place for it. There are many newcomers on here looking to learn, and more experienced shooters looking just to improve their craft. There are also many levels of critiquing that if done properly will continue to make this forum exciting and informative to all. So I’m proposing a suggestion… Lets start

If you want your photo critiqued, place the word CRITIQUE in the title of your photo (i.e. “Duck - CRITIQUE“). Even though many of us have c&c in our signatures or sometimes even the body of the post, many overlook it.

As far as the actual critique anyone can do it, beginner or veteran. Just go with your gut and don’t be afraid to speak up if you see something wrong or just doesn‘t look right to you. There are many things to look for that the shooter may not have noticed such as focus, composition, post processing, cropping etc…

As for the photographer posting your shots, we should also include as much information as possible. A lot of the pics will have the EXIF stripped making it hard for anyone to know how the settings may have affected the shot. If your like me and use Flickr, the EXIF is available on their site, but is lost when linked to the forum. It’s a good idea to post things such as focal length, aperture, shutter speed, ISO, type of metering, type of focusing… Is also important to note the gear you are using like camera, lens, type of support (or hand-held)… Even time of day can play a role…

There is nothing wrong with “Nice shot” or “Great capture” and you should be encouraged to post these comments. It definitely makes the shooter happy to know that someone likes it even if they feel there is nothing wrong with it

Lastly.. Don’t be afraid to post a shot just to post. There is no rule that a shot HAS to be critiqued. I have posted many that I know could use improvement, but I just wanted to share something.. Especially if it is a lifer, interesting pose, or just your first bird shot.

I hope this comes across the way I intended as a friendly suggestion.. I know I only want to improve my photography and with the help of the fine people who visit this site, it will continue to do so…

As always C&C welcome and appreciated

Cam: Nikon D300s, D90
Lenses: Nikon 18-135, 70-300VR, Nikon 300mm 2.8 AF-S, Nikon 50mm 1.8G AF-S, Nikon TC14E-II, Tamron 90mm 2.8
Nikon 12-24 f/4G, Nikon SB-600 Flash
Manfrotto 393

My Flickr Page

My Facebook Page
bill_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010   #2
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 46426
Default Re: Critiquing..

Nice thread here Bill. It is intimidating to say anything to some of these guys.
I am in a rut and could use some honest critique and advice myself.

Anybody willing to accept or ask for critique know this, that it will only help your photograpy.
I have seen newbs increase in their quality of work in short time frames because they
are willing to listen to others. Do not take advice as a criticism but as an opportunity
to better your photos. Enjoy yourself and be respectful.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/richardweinreich/
rawpaw18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010   #3
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 13395

Although over the last year or so i have learned a tremendous amount from you guys, i am almost afraid to critique anyone else's work as mine may or may not be to their standard, i simply don't know how to proceed!
Even if i see something that i think is wrong i would be reluctant to say so, of fear of making a fool of myself , i could be wrong, and quite often are.
How would you go about telling a newcomer that his image isn't as good as he/she thinks it is, its OOF, or badly composed.
I was told in a kind round about way by you guys how to compose a shot, how to process ( still haven't got that one right ), sharpen and clone the eyes, and i wasn't intimidated in any shape or form.
I Don't mind being giving critique, but do you guys think i am competent enough to give some?

Best regards Paul

When i started Photography i knew nothing, i still know bugger all, but i am learning
Bonsaidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010   #4
F1 Camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawpaw18 View Post
Nice thread here Bill. It is intimidating to say anything to some of these guys.
I am in a rut and could use some honest critique and advice myself.

Anybody willing to accept or ask for critique know this, that it will only help your photograpy.
I have seen newbs increase in their quality of work in short time frames because they
are willing to listen to others. Do not take advice as a criticism but as an opportunity
to better your photos. Enjoy yourself and be respectful.
Well said Rich and I hope that this will bring on more honesty and therefore more improvements for us all. I myself have been looking for more "in depth" reviews in hopes of getting to the next level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonsaidad View Post
Although over the last year or so i have learned a tremendous amount from you guys, i am almost afraid to critique anyone else's work as mine may or may not be to their standard, i simply don't know how to proceed!
Even if i see something that i think is wrong i would be reluctant to say so, of fear of making a fool of myself , i could be wrong, and quite often are.
How would you go about telling a newcomer that his image isn't as good as he/she thinks it is, its OOF, or badly composed.
I was told in a kind round about way by you guys how to compose a shot, how to process ( still haven't got that one right ), sharpen and clone the eyes, and i wasn't intimidated in any shape or form.
I Don't mind being giving critique, but do you guys think i am competent enough to give some
Best regards Paul
Paul, don't in anyway be intimidated on critiquing.. Just like a lot of people say about art: "I may not know good art, but I know what I like" Same thing applies here. If you see something that doesnt look right to you then go ahead and say. If someone honestly wants the critique then they will be willing to accept it all. There will be a fine line I'm sure that we'll be walking with the newcomers, and we should be as Rich said "respectful" to them. It can be easy to discourage someone when they are just starting.. I think with the great people we have on here, we should all be able to help each other.. newbies and seasoned photogs..

Lenses: Nikon 18-135, 70-300VR, Nikon 300mm 2.8 AF-S, Nikon 50mm 1.8G AF-S, Nikon TC14E-II, Tamron 90mm 2.8
Manfrotto 393

My Flickr Page

My Facebook Page
Old 09-11-2010   #5
Llama

CamelKarma: 1048898

Bill.Thank You for this!!...One can only be stagnate ,unless instructed on improvement!For some of us this is the only opportunity available at this stage of life,for any type of training...so please ,any c&c ,will be greatly appreciated!

Canon T2i ,Canon 18-135 ,Sigma 70-210
http://www.flickr.com/photos/keakaphoto/

https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/...65895053421461
Clyde C Hopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010   #6
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 456458

Thanks Bill, I think that this is a really good idea.

It is quite intimidating to give and receive criticism. What happens if the person takes my criticism the wrong way and is offended etc etc. I for one love to hear what I can do to make my images better.

One forum I belong to has an area called the Rhino Hide Forum - where critiques are brutal, but fair... another has a beginners critique area (where critiques are gentle and encouraging) and a regular critique area (where professionals will tear up your image looking for areas to improve). On the 'Camel where there are already so many boards I think that the inclusion of 'CRITIQUE' in the title is an excellent idea.
K to you Bill.
uk2usa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010   #7
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 431625
Editing OK?: Ask First

Good thread. I try to post as many pics as I can and get them critiqued. As I am new to photography and birds I take all critisim for good wether it be bad or good. Thats the only way we can learn for others to point out what we are doing wrong or how we can improve our skills. As far as me critiquing others thats a different story I dont feel I have enough knowledge to do this. When I do see other peoples pics I do try and critique in my head and see if it matches with everyone else. Usually I have been way off. Thanks Bill for starting this thread. Its good to know how others feel about this. Sorry so long.
Holguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010   #8
F1 Camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keaka photo View Post
Bill.Thank You for this!!...One can only be stagnate ,unless instructed on improvement!For some of us this is the only opportunity available at this stage of life,for any type of training...so please ,any c&c ,will be greatly appreciated!
I agree and thats where I am.. We are our own worst critics sometimes, but it helps to get a second opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by uk2usa View Post
Thanks Bill, I think that this is a really good idea.

It is quite intimidating to give and receive criticism. What happens if the person takes my criticism the wrong way and is offended etc etc. I for one love to hear what I can do to make my images better.

One forum I belong to has an area called the Rhino Hide Forum - where critiques are brutal, but fair... another has a beginners critique area (where critiques are gentle and encouraging) and a regular critique area (where professionals will tear up your image looking for areas to improve). On the 'Camel where there are already so many boards I think that the inclusion of 'CRITIQUE' in the title is an excellent idea.
K to you Bill.
I really hope everyone will take it what it's for... honest feedback. If that's the understanding and people are respectful with their comments it should all work out for the best..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holguin View Post
Good thread. I try to post as many pics as I can and get them critiqued. As I am new to photography and birds I take all critisim for good wether it be bad or good. Thats the only way we can learn for others to point out what we are doing wrong or how we can improve our skills. As far as me critiquing others thats a different story I dont feel I have enough knowledge to do this. When I do see other peoples pics I do try and critique in my head and see if it matches with everyone else. Usually I have been way off. Thanks Bill for starting this thread. Its good to know how others feel about this. Sorry so long.
As I said before don't be afraid to add your comments. It is part of the learning experience on both side. Giving your opinion and seeing the little things others may miss will give you a better eye on your own work.. and if you don't see something you don't like, go ahead and point out what you like.. it goes both ways.

Manfrotto 393

My Flickr Page

My Facebook Page

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Birds »

Share this topic: