Critique Please
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Birds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2010   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 4772
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Critique Please

Last week I house sat for a family who has 22 chickens. I wanted to practice capture for getting better exposures, but had trouble warming up to the creatures. Then I began to get intrigued with their feathers. My goal was to expose to the right enough to capture feather detail and let the grass go where it would. The iridescence of the feathers is not captured here, but I still like the counterpoint of the blue/red. Comments welcomed.

GeekStyle59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010   #2
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 46181528
Editing OK?: Ask First
Default Re: Critique Please

Looks a bit soft to me. You should also try to get down to the birds level as it gives a better perspective. Also try to get the complete bird into the shot unless you're trying for a portrait, then get less in. Think you've cracked the exposure though, nice details in the whites. Still, K for your efforts
Kevin
Frogstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010   #3
Vicuna

Sure is soft, Kevin. He was a running target shot on my P&S with a lower DOF than I would have liked due to my effort to keep a low ISO for noise reasons -- so I went with composition as best I could. And, (I'm not making this up, either) a low shot would have been impossible for me ATM due to a fractured pelvis. Not that I would have thought of that, though, since I've only been at this a little while and don't have all my chickens in a row yet. So thank you so much for pointing that out along with the softness. That's precisely why I asked for this critique.
Old 07-31-2010   #4
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 101

It look's like a Good start to me...But as a Flytyer that Rooster would have a few less Feathers.
bdesavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010   #5
Vicuna

I'm sorry, but I don't understand "Flytyer". Please explain.
Old 07-31-2010   #6
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 456458

Flytyer - someone who makes fly lures out of feathers for fishing. Interesting bird to photograph... and very tricky to get the exposure right with all that white against a dark background. I think you did a good job.
uk2usa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010   #7
Vicuna

Thanks, Alex! and lol!

Jean
Old 07-31-2010   #8
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 101

Here is a sample of a Fly.

bdesavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010   #9
Vicuna

Good pic, bdesavage. Do you trout fish? That's all I know that use flys. I like to fish for bass, but don't fish for what I can't eat so there aren't too many places around me where I can go. Cast a rod for me, OK?
Old 07-31-2010   #10
Vicuna

Frogstar, I forgot to thank you for my first Karma. (I didn't even figure out what you meant at first and wondered if it was a typo!) thanks again.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Birds »

Share this topic: