Before and After - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Birds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2010   #11
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 456458
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Before and After

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_w View Post
Had to bump this to keep it at the top...
Thanks for bumping Bill... and thanks again Kevin for this tutorial. It is really nice to see a workflow in action!

Without wanting to hijack Kevin's original thread I wonder if there are other workflows that people use?
uk2usa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010   #12
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 92951

Thanks Kevin! Always nice to see what others may do for that 'special' something.

When all else fails, get a bigger hammer!
LibertyHeir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010   #13
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 46181528
Editing OK?: Ask First

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_w View Post
Had to bump this to keep it at the top...
Thanks Bill, glad it's still of some use. Since posting this I've changed my PP slightly. Below is an image that I processed the old way and an image I did with my revised workflow. As a matter of interest which do you prefer? Any one can chip in and offer their opinion as I'm interested what others think. I'll post the changes if the correct image is chosen
Kevin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0926_PP.jpg (158.9 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0926_PPII.jpg (134.8 KB, 93 views)
Frogstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010   #14
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 34162

Well done Kevin, you work so hard on your pictures. That you should spend time explaining to others how you arrive at the finished product does you great credit. No offense, but I won't be following in your footsteps, life is too short.
Derek
superdel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010   #15
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 456458

Nice portrait Kevin. I prefer #1, when I look at the eye (and the feathers surrounding it) it appears to have a richer colour than the 2nd image - as I look further I can see this richness across the top and back of the head and also on the beak. There does not appear to be any detail difference (IMO) in either. I would love to know which is your preferred image - which one closest resembles the real life sighting?

Just noticed the dew on the grass - I bet you got a little damp shooting this
uk2usa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010   #16
Camel Breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdel View Post
Well done Kevin, you work so hard on your pictures. That you should spend time explaining to others how you arrive at the finished product does you great credit. No offense, but I won't be following in your footsteps, life is too short.
Derek
Thanks Derek. I actually only spend about 30 sec on this as it's all in an action, as you say, life is too short.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uk2usa View Post
Nice portrait Kevin. I prefer #1, when I look at the eye (and the feathers surrounding it) it appears to have a richer colour than the 2nd image - as I look further I can see this richness across the top and back of the head and also on the beak. There does not appear to be any detail difference (IMO) in either. I would love to know which is your preferred image - which one closest resembles the real life sighting?

Just noticed the dew on the grass - I bet you got a little damp shooting this
Thanks Alex for looking and the comments. One vote for #1 then. I was under cover so weather wasn't a problem
Kevin
Old 09-06-2010   #17
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 29788235

Great results, I will read more carefully later your workflow. But stunning results.

On my old office monitor the first of the two looks the better. But will be interested to see once home on my Mac.
Luckyjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010   #18
Camel Breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyjon View Post
Great results, I will read more carefully later your workflow. But stunning results.

On my old office monitor the first of the two looks the better. But will be interested to see once home on my Mac.
Thanks John, looks like 2 votes for #1
Kevin
Old 09-06-2010   #19
Naz
Llama

CamelKarma: 20855

greatp ost Kevin- thank you for explaining this- I usually run a hard light sharpen on high-pass- but wasn't too keen on how it looks, and was looking for another technique to try- I'll give your method a try, as the results look pretty decent on your exampels-
Naz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010   #20
Camel Breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naz View Post
greatp ost Kevin- thank you for explaining this- I usually run a hard light sharpen on high-pass- but wasn't too keen on how it looks, and was looking for another technique to try- I'll give your method a try, as the results look pretty decent on your exampels-
Thanks Naz, show us your results
Kevin

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Birds »

Share this topic: