Portrait retouch (not smoothing). Please C&C
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Fun Stuff > Before and Afters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2009   #1
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 7045525
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Portrait retouch (not smoothing). Please C&C

Check out these two links. When the page is done loading, mouse over the image to see the untouched version. Anything that I should have done differently? The one thing I'll mention is that a stray hair on Dan's forehead isn't completely cloned out - it was right on the break point of the shadow and I struggled with that. I might have to try it one more time.

Dan
Beth

My goal was to keep the images very real. Any permanent blemishes stayed - except for the redness on the skin. I posted images from this shoot with essentially the same processing before in the portrait forum, but some folks said they didn't see much difference. This A/B on the web page make is easier to see what I've done.

Old 08-30-2009   #2
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 78230
Editing OK?: Ask first
Default Re: Portrait retouch (not smoothing). Please C&C

These look like some pretty good retouches to me man. They look like they have real skin, and they don't look like they were tried to be made twenty years younger. Just "fresher". Thank you for making them look REAL.
http://sambeasley.tumblr.com
SamBeasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009   #3
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 164173
Editing OK?: Ask First

Excellent job on these. I don't think I'd change a thing on Dan's. On Beth's though I think I would remove a couple of the small blemishes that to me don't appear to be permanent. I say that not knowing her and not knowing what is not just a blemish at the time. I would love to know your technique for removing "reddish" skin tones so naturally.
Old 09-13-2009   #4
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 206
Editing OK?: Ask first

I think they look really good. I especially like the fact that you took out the skin of Beth's arm at the bottom sides. Skin tones look better in both.
Terry Gelgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009   #5
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 13427

Nice Job Zemlin.. You did a great job of removing the reddish skin tones and great call on bringing the shirt down on Beth's arms.. I see the difference big time, but you kept them looking "real"... I prefer this to heavy smoothing on the skin...

Kat
KatMitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010   #6
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10

i like this kind of retouching .. simple and a must for old peoples .. specially who got wrinkles , they wouldn't accept smoothing thier skin .. but this kind of retouch is gonna work well .
photorelive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010   #7
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 398
Editing OK?: No

Quote:
I would love to know your technique for removing "reddish" skin tones so naturally.
Me too! I've always wondered how that can be done. (Mainly for personal reasons....I have reddish skin tone in pictures. Would love to look normal. )
Cherylgotacamera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010   #8
Former Camel

CamelKarma: 535

Quote:
I would love to know your technique for removing "reddish" skin tones so naturally.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherylgotacamera View Post
Me too! I've always wondered how that can be done. (Mainly for personal reasons....I have reddish skin tone in pictures. Would love to look normal. )
That may not only be due to too much red, but also to too much blue! Try with adjusted color balance and without. See which you like best.
Heather24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010   #9
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 7045525

I discuss my de-redding technique in my second post in this thread.
zemlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010   #10
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 626

I'm new to photocamel and I have to say that I like what you did with the subjects here. Great job! You achieved your goal of maintaining the "real" look and feel of the subects.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Fun Stuff > Before and Afters »

Share this topic: