Totally underexposed
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Fun Stuff > Before and Afters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2009   #1
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 11093068
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Totally underexposed

When I took this I was convinced that I had a decent shot of the sun going down behind the trees. When I put it up on the screen I almost threw it away. But I decided to try HDR and salvage the shot. I under and over exposed the shot using my RAW viewer, ran it through Photomatix, and then cropped. I couldn't believe the difference!

Before

DSC_0711.jpg

After

DSC_0711_HDR.jpg

__________________________________________________ __________________________________
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers

Donít cling to a mistake just because you took a lot of time making it. - unknown
Wcube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009   #2
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 538838
Default Re: Totally underexposed

Very nice save. Most people would just delete that original image.
Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009   #3
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 113410
Editing OK?: No

It is great that you had so much info to salvage. That is a great thing about shooting raw. I think you need to work a bit more on blending the sky and the hill/tree though. That is always a tricky part to get right. Really good start.
Ellbee99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009   #4
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 11093068

Thanks for the comments Douglas and Lori. Unfortunately I think this is at the limit of my skills with the editing software. Every thing I tried beyond this deteriorated the shot.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers

Donít cling to a mistake just because you took a lot of time making it. - unknown
Wcube is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Fun Stuff > Before and Afters »

Share this topic: