Butterfly
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Fun Stuff > Before and Afters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2013   #1
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 4620475
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Butterfly

Original Photo
P3310702.jpg

Dreamy Effect
dream effect.jpg

Redfield - Fractalius
fractus.jpg

Olympus E-420 user. Lens: 14-42mm :: 40-150mm :: 70-300mm
Morgan Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013   #2
QBX
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 423
Editing OK?: Ask First
Default Re: Butterfly

I like the original best.
QBX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013   #3
Llama

CamelKarma: 1685

I really like the Redfield version. Has an X-ray look.

happusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013   #4
Camel Breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by QBX View Post
I like the original best.
Quote:
Originally Posted by happusa View Post
I really like the Redfield version. Has an X-ray look.
Thank you both for your kind comments.

Old 07-04-2013   #5
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 19578623

Fun to play, neat!

jj
Old 07-06-2013   #6
Llama

CamelKarma: 58067
Cool Re: Butterfly

why didn't you do a cutout and create moving wings as well. would look really neat.
chessmaster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013   #7
Camel Breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessmaster2000 View Post
why didn't you do a cutout and create moving wings as well. would look really neat.
Tell me how to do it and I will.

Old 07-06-2013   #8
Llama

CamelKarma: 58067
Talking Re: Butterfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan Starr View Post
Tell me how to do it and I will.
depending on the program used, ie paint shop pro or photoshop, the exact instructions I can't say. basically, you would trace the edges of the butterfly and save that layer as a new layer on a transparent background of the same size as the original, then save the file in png format.
on the original layer you would delete the selection. clone the remainder to fill in the gaps left by deleting the butterfly. save in png format.
now you'll need an animation program. animation shop is easy to use and can be found on many paint shop pro group sites. open the background png with animation shop copy and paste as new image several times so as to have enough to add the butterfly to them. save the file in gif format. open the butterfly png in animation shop and do the exact same thing and add to only half the number of frames, then control D for the same number of frames. this give you as many frames overall as the background frames.
in each butterfly frame you need to adjust the position of the wings by moving them slightly narrower than each previous frame until you have the wings as close to the middle as you want. the total number of frames should be one half with the butterfly one half without. to make it work easily, copy the butterfly layer in the middle and paste as new layer into the next frame, working backwards for all the remaining frames so as to have the first frame copy and pasted to the last empty frame. save as a gif.
now to the combining of the two. open each in animation shop. for the butterfly, select edit, select all, (this selects all the frames at once), edit copy, click on the background gif, edit select all, edit paste. now the butterfly should be in all the background frames. file save as gif. it should still be showing and you can close the other two.
locate the run animation command to test the speed of the butterfly wings' movement. if too fast, use the set frame speed to a lower number until you have the wings moving at the desired speed you want.
it sounds complicated, but it's actually very easy to do, but takes time to do each butterfly adjustment. you may only have 10 frames, five to close the wings, five to open them, but the effect on that butterfly picture, now animated, would be impressive. I hope these instructions are fairly clear since I didn't do a special tutorial for you because I really don't have the necessary time to do it right, which is step by step along with pics of the tools to use and their location. there are number of tutorials available that give those type of instructions in many PSP groups.

p.s. you can basically do the same with Photoshop as with PSP long as you save in png format. png is compatible with all versions of PSP and Photoshop but is easier to work with than jpeg. also, when setting the speed, if you set it too low it'll seem jerky, too high and it'll look unnatural. at 100 frames per minute, it's gonna look horribly unnatural, but animation shop's default is 100 fpm. to set the speed properly, always, always, always, use the edit select all command before setting the speed . this sets the speed for all frames at the same speed. if you only use one frame, it'll be oddly choppy.
chessmaster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013   #9
Llama

CamelKarma: 316487
Editing OK?: Ask first

I really like the idea Chessmaster has with the moving wings. I think using a complete different background all together is easier than cloning in the empty spaces of the wing cut-outs. Great idea for an Avatar too.

Hope you don't mind me trying this out. I think your butterfly shot looks really nice.

Did the whole thing in PS CS6 using the 3D tools to warp the wings into a different perspective each frame. Added a Fresco filter to make the butterfly match the background a little better.
Attached Images
File Type: gif butterfly-animation.gif (74.3 KB, 85 views)
gumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013   #10
Camel Breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumper View Post
I really like the idea Chessmaster has with the moving wings. I think using a complete different background all together is easier than cloning in the empty spaces of the wing cut-outs. Great idea for an Avatar too.

Hope you don't mind me trying this out. I think your butterfly shot looks really nice.

Did the whole thing in PS CS6 using the 3D tools to warp the wings into a different perspective each frame. Added a Fresco filter to make the butterfly match the background a little better.
Thanks, that looks really cool.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Fun Stuff > Before and Afters »

Share this topic: