Antiquated Film Look. using film.
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Fun Stuff > Before and Afters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2011   #1
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 10
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Antiquated Film Look. using film.

I don't have a "before" to show here, only an "after", but I thought I'd share how I got an old film look on a building that was brand new at the time the picture was taken.

Note: This method takes very little effort but quite a bit of time. It does not take the 30+ years of the 'style' that it emulates.

It's actually quite simple.
1) Shoot film. I shot this with a manual lens on a Minolta X-370s on ISO400 color negative film. The brand doesn't matter too much, but I'd opt for the cheaper stuff.
2) Expose normally, possibly open the aperture an additional stop. You might want to bracket a bit but you shouldn't need too much.
3) Finish the roll, wind it back up into the can.
4) Keep the film on a shelf for a few months to a year. We're trying to add base fog here but *after* the image has already been exposed to the film.
5) After at least a year, process the film. DO NOT use a one-hour photo lab. If you don't process your own, find a real photo lab that can process it traditionally and make prints (if you want them). Make sure you have a note attached if you expected push/pull processing on the roll based upon exposure at time of shooting. I have not yet toyed with over/under exposure and push/pull processing but it may yield additional interesting results.
For import into the computer, I used a negative film scanner. You can use a positive print scanner but be aware of this when determining the type of paper to print on, as some papers and finishes will cause retroreflection of the scanner's lamp, leaving your picture deteriorated in a way that you don't want. Bringing up the greens (and maybe some blues) in post will give it a 'rich' look.

For additional effect, carry the film around in your photo bag, leave it in your car, etc. to get more base fog and physical deterioration. This frame was shot on a Minolta SRT-202 (which has frame-advance issues that add to the effect) and the roll was *accidentally* left in the bag and not on the shelf. This frame was taken a year and a half after the above frame and processed at roughly the same time. Note the difference in base fog due to where and how it was stored. The antiquated look to the building itself also adds to the effect.

-- Eric

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Fun Stuff > Before and Afters »

Share this topic:

Tags
antique, film