I like the pictures but....
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Fun Stuff > Before and Afters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2006   #1
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 177
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default I like the pictures but....

I like these pics but not sure which is better or what to do with them to make them (or either) interesting to others.
Have at it and have fun with the PP.
I look forward to seeing what and how you guys bring these to life.

Old 08-29-2006   #2
Dromedary

Default Re: I like the pictures but....

Here is the other
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sized_steamengine.JPG (116.4 KB, 411 views)
Old 08-30-2006   #3
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1469207

The problem with these particular shots include the end-on angle, which probably couldn't be avoided, the flash-on-the-camera lighting, and the busyness of the stone wall background. At least you avoided any ruinously harsh and bright reflections, even in the end-on shot. Too bad you couldn't get a better angle to show off the flywheel, crankshaft, and push rod, or even to make these parts easily recognizable as such. And that large vertical @^#&%?*! pipe (an obscure technical term ) also gets in the way of the view of the flyball governor. I couldn't do anything about that.

In an effort to portray the geometrical shapes and the complexity of the workmanship, I did an extreme crop of the instrumentation at the top of the steam engine. I also artificially blurred the background to reduce the distraction that it would produce.

I'm not entirely happy with this effort, but here it is anyway:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Steama.jpg (49.9 KB, 393 views)
scoundrel1728 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006   #4
Dromedary

scoundrel, Thanks for the info. You seem well educated in steam engines
I saw this engine and was sucked in by it. Something was yelling for me to capture it. I just couldn't "hear" where it was "coming from". The engine was very interesting to me but I did a poor job of capturing what pulled me in. Time and space were both issues.
I like your crop. It may look better using the uncompressed file. I'll give it a whirl.
Thanks for trying.
Old 08-31-2006   #5
Camel Breath

Here is my own effort at a similar subject, though I had a bit more freedom of movement. I didn't have a suitably wide angle lens though and had to stitch together three exposures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FireEngine2s.JPG (60.9 KB, 380 views)
Old 08-31-2006   #6
Dromedary

nice capture. You did a wonderful job stitching them.
Can you use PS elements to stitch or is another program needed?
Old 08-31-2006   #7
Camel Breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavb
nice capture. You did a wonderful job stitching them.
Can you use PS elements to stitch or is another program needed?
If you are careful to:

1. keep plenty of overlap between shots,

2. don't use too wide an angle lens, and

3. be careful you don't rotate your camera around its optical axis,

you might be able to get by with PS Elements. I have found it helpful to go with regular panorama stitching software. In my case, I use PTAssembler, a front end that makes the powerful but user-unfriendly PanoTools by Helmut Dersch a lot easier to work with. Other front ends for Dersch's PanoTools include Hugin and PTGui. PTAssembler isn't free but it is pretty inexpensive and well worth its price.

Regardless of what software you use, you must take care to keep your camera's nodal point (effective point of view) consistent between shots if you are to avoid stitching errors from parallax. The closer your foreground approaches the lens at the stitching seams, the more critical you must be to keep your nodal point consistent. For the two lenses I own, the nodal point is about at the rear edge of the focus ring. For my Coolpix, it is about 2 cm behind the front of the lens. For my lenses, this varies a little bit depending on the zoom setting but not much. You must watch it though; the nodal point shifts to a point well behind the camera when I mount my telextender. (Not that this has given me any trouble so far; when I use this extender, everything in the field of view is at least several tens of meters away.)
Old 09-01-2006   #8
Dromedary

Thanx scoundrel.
I will eventually try it out. not sure my skills are up to the task right now. I'm still learning how to take off the lens cap
Old 09-04-2006   #9
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 6945

I do not know if this is any more to your liking but it is deeper in tone.
nerrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006   #10
Dromedary

nerrak,
I like the tones that you played with. I will play with that and crop it a bit.

mavb is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Fun Stuff > Before and Afters »

Share this topic: