my first picture post - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Fun Stuff > Before and Afters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2006   #11
senses working overtime

CamelKarma: 402002
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: my first picture post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavb
Thanks Paul, I saw the cloud a few miles back up the road and kept driving until I found a nice foreground for it.
ALL:
Here are some things that I would like to improve with PP:
1. Bring up the pink in the bottom of the clouds just a pinch
2. Get rid of the distracting shadow on the barn (side and roof)
3. clone out the "other" building and fence

Is the shadow in the foreground a distraction? Does it need to be cropped in any way?
Thanks in advance,
Mark
It's quite tricky to do cloning on such a small example - you should have much better luck on the original file. Here are a couple of examples. The first is tidying up the barnd and removing the shadow and other buildings, and the 2nd is also removing the deep shadow in the foreground - which is a tricky maneuver as it takes up so much of the picture. I'd also agree with Scoundrel's crop decision - there is a lot of empty sky in this shot that could possibly be removed.

Paul Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006   #12
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 177
Editing OK?: Ask First

Thanks scoundrel and Paul,
I love the panoramic crop. Scoundrel, You used the term panoramic "treatment". Is this a simple crop or is it a PS function?

Paul, I realy like the work that you did with getting the smaller building out as well as getting rid of the distracting shadows on the barn. I am going to give it a wirl and see what I can do.

Thanks both for your direction and inspiration. I am new to the PP and am using GIMP (I am going to get PS soon) so this may take me a while to mess with and tweak.
Regards,
Mark
Old 08-14-2006   #13
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 11

I agree that the fence had to go but I think that the farmhouse should have stayed it kind of balances out the picture. The small piece of barn showing should have been taken out. Then panoramic crop it taking out all but about a 1/4 inch above the clouds and most of the shadow on the ground and it would be good. That's just how I would have done it that's what I feel when looking at this pic.
wolfy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006   #14
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1469207

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavb
I love the panoramic crop. Scoundrel, You used the term panoramic "treatment". Is this a simple crop or is it a PS function?
I don't have any flavor of Adobe Photoshop. In this case it is a simple crop with an extreme aspect ratio. If you want full detail for future images of this kind, I would suggest getting some inexpensive panorama stitching software like PTAssembler, PTGui, or Hugin. All three of the ones I mentioned are front ends for Helmut Dersch's Panorama Tools freeware package of utilities and its descendants. The native Panorama Tools is very powerful and versatile but not user-friendly; the front ends are definitely worth the small price to greatly reduce the pain required in using them.

I also use Dersch's Panorama Tools suite as Photoshop-compatible plug-ins that also work with Paint Shop Pro, Corel Photo-Paint 10 and newer, and Irfanview for correcting lateral chromatic aberration and barrel/pincushion distortion, and for straightening converging verticals. (Did I mention that this package is versatile?) Not sure whether the GIMP can accept Photoshop-compatible plugins, but you might be able to use Panorama Tools with the GIMP too.

To show you something of the effect possible with such software, here is a vertical panorama that offers some of the same challenges your landscape does: contrasty, high dynamic range and a comparatively extreme aspect ratio, though this one is tall rather than wide. The full-sized version of this shot is 1248 x 2496 pixels, stitched together from three 3-megapixel images though I could have gotten by with two.

If you are using Firefox or IE, hitting the F11 key will give you more vertical room on your screen to see this image. Hitting F11 again will restore your browser to normal configuration. This F11 trick may work with other browsers as well but I haven't tested it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Stump4ss.jpg (78.7 KB, 284 views)
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006   #15
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 177

Thanks Scoundrel,
That explaination was very helpful. I liked the way you used it vertically. I would have never thought of that application.
By the way F11 works with my netscape browser.

Thanks again,
Mark
Old 11-19-2007   #16
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 28

Here is my try
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_00140001.jpg (70.1 KB, 145 views)
Old 11-19-2007   #17
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 353
Editing OK?: Yes

Here are my suggestions - cropping and auto levels:

laura11383 is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Fun Stuff > Before and Afters »

Share this topic: