started working in layers
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Fun Stuff > Before and Afters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2006   #1
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 12
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default started working in layers

I have ALOT to learn in PS to improve my shots. Besides the ability of getting perfect exposures ofc.

Here's a before and after from me. I shot this in Cracow in Poland in July. Two homeless guys. On photoshop I used Curves/Multiply - Curves/Darken etc, etc. Just learned to work in layers, and I can highly reccomend it. Although, this is one of my first ones done in layers, and I might have gotten a bit to exited and overdone it a bit. What do you think?

Before:

After:

*bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006   #2
senses working overtime

CamelKarma: 402002
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: started working in layers

Yes I think layers are probably the most important tool in the likes of Photoshop/gimp etc. I do feel the B&W is a bit overly burnt in comparison to the original. It is a real shot of character though and works nicely in the context of homelessness and the joyful expression.
Paul Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006   #3
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 428

I think the B&W has a lot emotional grit compared to the color. It's a big improvement.

If you started using blending modes the same time you started using layers you're moving ahead fast. Good work.

Chip
Old 08-11-2006   #4
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 177

bjarne,
Nice job. I too like the b/w best. I like the way Chip described it- " emotional grit" .
Mark
Old 08-11-2006   #5
Llama

CamelKarma: 74
Editing OK?: Yes

That is a great face, and a great image. I like what you've done. For me, the missing detail (the overly-darkened parts) intensifies the shapes and the lines. The beard looks a little crispy, though i like that effect in the hair. Also, softening the contrast of the stripes in the shirt would make this more effective. That pattern just grabs attention away from the subject.
Old 08-12-2006   #6
Alpaca

Thanks! I might come back to this image later when I learn more. Feel that this is one of my best shots, and it deserves proper treatment.
Old 08-12-2006   #7
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1469544

Did you find out where he got the scars around the bridge of his nose? Looks like an interesting story and my guess is that he wouldn't mind telling you about it.
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006   #8
Alpaca

The thing is, I always wanted to get the courage to photograph people like this, but never did. So as I walk by theese guys in Cracow, I pushed myself to sit down and talk with them. We talked for an hour or so. I bought us some beers and we had a good time. The problem was that we just started talking about all kinds of shit. Even Star Wars and Bravehart... Then, suddenly the police shows up and arrests us for drinking on the street. And that was just before I got his story. But, he had been in jail, and even showed me an ID card with a picture of him from before he ended up in the streets. What a change!
Old 08-18-2006   #9
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 94

I really like the B&W one. Very nice! I love B&W stuff. I really need to work on that kinda look. It's very dramatic.

Steve

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Fun Stuff > Before and Afters »

Share this topic: