Headshot makeover
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Fun Stuff > Before and Afters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2011   #1
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 7045525
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Headshot makeover

I've been working on some headshots - this one went a bit over-the-top as far as my usual retouch job goes. In the process, however, I came to realize why I am insecure about retouching.

I don't usually judge people. I take folks for what/who they are and don't spend time finding fault, whether it be internal or external. When I make a change to a photo, I feel I'm making a statement about that person. Everything I change is something they probably would rather I not notice.

By the same token, I realize that's the whole point of retouching - so others won't notice those things - regardless, I'm uncomfortable making noticeable changes in an image. I think I need to get over that.

On this one I knocked down the redness, brightened eyes and teeth, a bit of skin smoothing, dodging, lifted a lazy lid, tucked in the ears, and replaced the shirt with a logo sweater from another subject who was about the same size and almost identical pose.

zemlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011   #2
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 43192
Editing OK?: Ask first
Default Re: Headshot makeover

It's a good retouch. I like what you did with the shirt. A good retouched image shouldn't look like it's been retouched. And if I only looked at your retouch, it doesn't look retouched at this resolution.

When retouching it is sometimes difficult to know how far to take the retouch. We have to consider the picture we are working on and the use. Here are some "guidelines" that I follow.

Character/Portraits -Refine the image without changing the persons defining traits. For instance, birthmarks can be lightened, wrinkles are made less deep, and scars can be made more prominent/exaggerated. These are some of the characteristics that help define the person. While blotchiness, zits, redness, bugers,etc are not permanent features should be removed.

Commercial- This falls under advertisement, product or company promotions, and people should look real but a little more perfect with clean skin, eye bags gone, shiny hair and bright eyes, remove birthmarks,scars or anything that distract from what is being sold or promoted. This is an addition to character retouch.

Iconic - This is when we retouch a famous person like a movie actor or a singer for example. Everything is retouched to perfection. Pretty much go to town with retouch. Perfect skin, perfect lip line, symmetrical facial features, perfect eye lashes, etc. body parts made thinner and or longer( like legs).
klam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011   #3
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 107572

Nicely done. You may be uncomfortable doing this kind of work, but it doesn't show. I don't think you went to far, and if you had just posted the retouch and not commented on the things you had done, I wouldn't have known. Again, nicely done.

Who is John Galt?
Kerbouchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013   #4
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 2006074
Editing OK?: Ask First

Very nicely done! Retouched without turning it into a lie.
Nonnie05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013   #5
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 1685642
Editing OK?: Ask first

That's a good retouch! You need to come to work for me at my old-time studio if you want to get over any fear of retouching! Lol!
P&POTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013   #6
aml
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 76761

Looks darn good to me. Definitely not over done but worth the time and effort.
Old 03-26-2013   #7
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 314440

Great work especially the shirt
tryit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013   #8
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 180938

Good job! Great!

greetings
hexi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013   #9
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 221720

Zemlin, I saw this about when you first posted and didn't comment then. I should have. You made the subject (yourself) look better and no one looking at your retouched photo would be able to tell that you had done anything other than take the portrait. To me, that is the essence of retouching, improvement without calling attention to the improvement. Very well done indeed.
Thank you hexi for bringing this back up to the top so I could have the opportunity to comment also.
Old 04-25-2013   #10
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 7045525

Thanks to all.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Fun Stuff > Before and Afters »

Share this topic: