Before pics wanted for retouching.
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Fun Stuff > Before and Afters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2010   #1
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 101
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Before pics wanted for retouching.

I am looking for more retouching practice and I am specifically looking for photogs that are willing to let me post before and after pics on my web site. I will trade the retouch for use of your image. The image will remain yours, of course.

Here is one to get things started:

Before:

After:

Crop: I included a crop because people often comment that retouches look plastic. The plastic look is more a function of the reduced size for web display than actual lack of texture.

C&C welcome.

Old 12-20-2010   #2
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 107572
Default Re: Before pics wanted for retouching.

Sure, you can give one of mine a shot...send me a PM with an e-mail address or a way that I can send a 12 meg RAW file. I always like to see what others can get out of my captures and what their versions are. But I would ask that you back off on the background blur...what you did to the hair in your example isn't very well done, IMO.

Who is John Galt?
Kerbouchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010   #3
Alpaca

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisjohngalt View Post
Sure, you can give one of mine a shot...send me a PM with an e-mail address or a way that I can send a 12 meg RAW file. I always like to see what others can get out of my captures and what their versions are. But I would ask that you back off on the background blur...what you did to the hair in your example isn't very well done, IMO.
Thanks for the feedback. PMd you with an email address.
oldmacman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010   #4
Bactrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmacman View Post
Thanks for the feedback. PMd you with an email address.
File sent...

Who is John Galt?
Old 12-20-2010   #5
Alpaca

Quote:
File sent...
Thanks. Emailed back. That pic is already really nice. Do you take any crappy pics?
Old 12-20-2010   #6
Bactrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmacman View Post
Thanks. Emailed back. That pic is already really nice. Do you take any crappy pics?
Let me see if I can find a crappy pic to send you, but to tell you the truth, if you want to get into professional retouching, I think the kind of picture that I sent you is what you need to be able to enhance.

People who will pay for a professional retouch artist are probably going to start with the best results they can get.

Who is John Galt?
Old 12-20-2010   #7
Alpaca

Quote:
Let me see if I can find a crappy pic to send you, but to tell you the truth, if you want to get into professional retouching, I think the kind of picture that I sent you is what you need to be able to enhance.

People who will pay for a professional retouch artist are probably going to start with the best results they can get.
I know what you mean. I started going through your pic and any change made is only noticeable if you are zoomed in:
- bit of excess lipstick
- a few bits of fluff in her hair
- diminished the smile wrinkles
Don't get me wrong, I certainly appreciate the pic. It would just be good to have a more dramatic result. Truthfully, that woman has awesome skin. You have to look very carefully to pick out any imperfection.

Thanks. I'll send back a file when I am done.
Old 12-20-2010   #8
Bactrian

I understand and can definitely see what you mean. For a website example, I can understand how you would want something that you could dramatically change. A pimply teenager would probably be perfect for your example. Unfortunately, I'm afraid I don't really have anything that could lend itself well to that.

Feel free to post the before and after of the image I sent you here. Perhaps, the quality of your enhancement will get some others to jump in that might have a better example for you.

Best of luck to you.

Who is John Galt?
Old 12-20-2010   #9
Alpaca

Many thanks to whoisjohngalt for supplying two challenging pics. I chose to work on his second choice first, as I felt it was easier to show a change from the original. I am sure there is more work that can be done, but here is what I have so far:

Before:

After PP:

The most challenging part of working on a soft pic is watching for the ghosted edges. I think I have got to most of the obvious ones. Please C&C or offer suggestions for improvement.
Old 12-21-2010   #10
Bactrian

I am afraid your editing styles may just be a bit too different than mine. My good shots aren't bad enough and I'm afraid for my bad shot, the saturation and contrast are just too high.

Like I said in my e-mail, that wasn't a shot I tried to save and had not bothered to try to edit until I saw your version. If I was dead set on doing something with that image, here is what I would have done.

Either way, I don't think my images will be suitable for your website. As I mentioned earlier, I think you may need a pimply teenager and work your magic from there.

Again, good luck to you.

Who is John Galt?

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > Fun Stuff > Before and Afters »

Share this topic: