The Ziggurat.
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Architecture & Cityscapes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2016   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 97397
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default The Ziggurat.

Birmingham Central Library, now undergoing demolition. The statue in the foreground is Thomas Attwood - Birmingham`s first MP.

mps6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016   #2
Llama

CamelKarma: 109391
Editing OK?: Ask First
Default Re: The Ziggurat.

Nice choice of the selective color in this image. Good work.
digital2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016   #3
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1145880

Nice capture.
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016   #4
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 54761647

Nice shot and processing. It's a shame that a building like that can't be repurposed rather than demolished.

Chuck
fatoldbaldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016   #5
Vicuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by digital2006 View Post
Nice choice of the selective color in this image. Good work.
Thanks for commenting.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Old 04-10-2016   #6
Vicuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
Nice capture.
Thanks shadowman

Old 04-10-2016   #7
Vicuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoldbaldguy View Post
Nice shot and processing. It's a shame that a building like that can't be repurposed rather than demolished.

Chuck
English Heritage tried to get it Listed status, but money talks unfortunately.

Old 04-14-2016   #8
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 9679634

Quote:
Originally Posted by mps6 View Post
English Heritage tried to get it Listed status, but money talks unfortunately.
Don't understand your conspiratorial comment about money "talking" - this building was, like many others of this style which were erected in the 60s and 70s, nothing more that a concrete eyesore !

The pseudo-intellectual description of this monstrosity in Wiki is a masterpiece of meaningless "waffle":-
"an icon of British Brutalism with its stark use of concrete, bold geometry, inverted ziggurat sculptural form and monumental scale. Its style was seen at the time as a symbol of social progressivism."

PS: I do like your photo................
moonrakerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016   #9
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 47591965

Very well done
woollyback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016   #10
Vicuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonrakerz View Post
Don't understand your conspiratorial comment about money "talking" - this building was, like many other of this style which were erected in the 60s and 70s, nothing more that a concrete eyesore !

The pseudo-intellectual description of this monstrosity in Wiki is a masterpiece of meaningless "waffle":-
"an icon of British Brutalism with its stark use of concrete, bold geometry, inverted ziggurat sculptural form and monumental scale. Its style was seen at the time as a symbol of social progressivism."

PS: I do like your photo................
Hi moonrakerz. There's nothing conspiratorial about my comment "money talks". Paradise Circus is a £500 million development. If you had bothered to read the "pseudo-intellectual description of this monstrosity in Wiki" you would have noted that "The Paradise Circus site was sold by the Council in 1998 to Argent Group", a UK-based property developer. Madinís building stood on land which the council viewed as having considerable regeneration potential and thus commercial value.

In 2011 the World Monuments Fund included the library on its watch list. English Heritage applied and failed twice for the building to gain listed status. Also an eleventh-hour campaign and petition made by Friends of Central Library presented an alternative plan to the Council and its developers which retained the library at the centre of the Paradise Circus scheme. It argued that the library could be used for a range of alternative uses and demolition after 40 years went against all principles of sustainability. However, Birmingham City Council, Birmingham Civic Society, CABE and Argent Group strongly opposed any plans to retain the library and consequently the battle was lost. Much to the delight of people such as yourself who consider this type of architecture as "nothing more than a concrete eyesore!".

I joined this forum to share my photos and hopefully improve my photography through constructive comment and criticism from other forum members. Apart from your liking the photo I do not gain any benefit from your questioning of my comment to another forum member, your personal dislike of Madin's building style or Wiki's, supposedly meaningless waffle. We all have opinions. However, ii you've not got anything positive to say by way of comment and criticism of the photograph, then scroll on by.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Architecture & Cityscapes »

Share this topic: