I am stumped and looking for help - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > All Other Styles & Types

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2018   #11
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 28004
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: I am stumped and looking for help

Wow! Thanks for the lesson! I have looked at Etsy and Amazon and other places and haven't much liked anything I have seen. I also have dozens of shots trying to do the same sort of thing, except for a mannequin. I am not happy with anything I have done. I am thinking of trying to find a dressmakers form, which is similar to a mannequin but is adjustable for different sizes and shapes so, for the most part, I would have only 1 piece of equipment to deal with instead of an assortment of foam torsos. I produce a wide range of sizes.
JanetP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018   #12
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 683702
Editing OK?: Yes

`

I expect you'll just become hugely frustrated trying
for slick "pro" results. Worse yet, UN-slick 2nd-rate
failed-pro results are worse than what you've shown
already. Actually, what you've shown on the clothes
line shot is kinda folksy and has a person-to-person
feeling, which could help sales if only the product is
shown with more clarity. Try adding flash, and fix up
the colors in post. Forget learning to make slick and
polished images. The skills and gear are way beyond
your worst photo-nightmares :-( Clean up the folksy
thing, a job very likely within reach of your personal
time and budget.
Golem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018   #13
Vicuna

Thanks. I am having thoughts of using some sort of mannequin now, giving it a goofy name, and shooting the shirts on that with maybe something like a balloon with a hand drawn face on it for the head. The clothesline thing is different from the way I usually see such stuff displayed and I shot it with fill flash to compensate for the bright background. Folksy and kind of goofy would be in line with the name of the company. Here is one of my favorite shots done on a model. It was a spontaneous grab while kiddo was playing. Previewing it here, the colors of the shirt are washed out and the edges of the blue heart look weird. I suppose I could fix that in post processing. It looks to me like everything but the shirt is in focus.There are really no sharp edges in tie-dye, which probably confuses the AF on my camera.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Thomasheart.jpg (231.6 KB, 17 views)
Old 01-20-2018   #14
Llama

CamelKarma: 36120

You'll need a mannequin and clothes pins. It'll help show the shirts better. You might even be able to use straight pins, and pin it into the mannequin as well.

For me, having people in the images pulls focus off the shirts.

Nikon D800, D5500 IR 590nm, D50
nu2scene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018   #15
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 1467548

This image is a compromise and it shows. Is this supposed to be a product shot of the shirt or a portrait of the boy? Despite your having cut off the top of the boy's head and making some other errors, the pose does bring out the boy's introspective side. This is a lot better than the hard facial expressions on some of the models I have seen in professional catalogs I have seen come in the mail.However, that is not what you are trying to convey in this image.

I don't think that missed focus is part of your problem. Both the top of the boy's head, which is nearer to the camera than the tee shirt, and the rock wall at vewer's left, which is farther away, are in sharp focus. (The rock wall on the viewer's lower right is not in focus leads me to suspect an equipment alignment problem that may need a trip to the repair shop to correct.) Depth of field, which is the area in front of and behind the camer's plane of focus through which a lens will render the object acceptably sharp, is within the photographer's control: decreasing the physical size of the lens' aperture, which is the same as raising the numerical value of the f-number, increases the depth of field. However, this reduces the lens' light gathering power and the dimmer image must be compensated for with a higher ISO rating - which can have its own bad effects on the image - or increasing the exposure time, which increases the risk of motion blur in the image. This is assuming that you aren't using a flash, in which case the effect of the light from the flash can't usually be controlled successfully by changing the exposure time. In this particular case, the shirt really is rendered sharp; it just doesn't look that way to you.

The apparent distortion of the heart shape was to be expected and does not look objectionable to me. Because the heart is so big, it wraps around the boy's body so far that the sides of the heart are at the sides of the boy's body and are photographed nearly edge-on, especially on the boy's right side. If you want to reduce the distortion of the heart, you haven't much choice but reduce the size of the heart relative to your model or shoot the shirt flat. The boy's right arm is extended outward and forward, reducing the shirt's curvature at this point; but just below this, the edge of the heart is far around the boy's rib cage and almost edge-on to the camera, greatly reducing its effective width. That effect is probably causing the distortion that you are objecting to. There is also a grayish area in the shirt near the boy's right armpit that is also producing some unfortunate visual effects, especially when against a background that is a similar color.

Some photographers are notorious for shooting pictures of brick walls, but they do this to check the sharpness of their lenses over the entire visual field. Before decommissioning your lens or sending it to the shop, you might consider doing the same. Set your camera to Aperture (A or Av) mode to its lowest-numbered f-stop available at the focal length you want to test, check that your camera is aimed straight at the wall - any slant vertically or horizontally can affect the results of your test - shoot your wall, and pixel peep. Some fuzziness might be expected at the edges of your image, but the amount and type should ideally be the same for all points at a given distance from the center of the image. For zoom lenses, repeat the test at the lens' shortest, longest, and at least one intermediate focal length. This is a sensitive test, so don't panic if your lens doesn't perform perfectly. Minor misalignments are not uncommon, especially in wide angle lenses, zoom lenses, and inexpensive "kit" lenses. In fact, the mounting of the lens or imager may be at fault rather than the lens itself. I have also read lens reviewers mention minor alignment problems occasionally on the lens samples they are testing. The infrared-converted Nikon Coolpix 995 has a tendency to be fuzzy at the bottom of its images, the result, I suspect, of carelessness in the infrared conversion. I also have a Canon S2 IS with some unsharpness on the left side, most likely a lens misalignment problem. I still use both cameras, mindful of their peculiar limitations.
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018   #16
Vicuna

Thanks for the lesson. I will wander off to find a brick wall somewhere. That shot was just a quick grab, couldn't get him to stand still long enough to pose and I liked the contrast of the shirt with the wall. I am not quite fast enough as I would like to be when grabbing shots on the spur of the moment. I agree that having models would take attention away from the shirts.
Old 01-20-2018   #17
Vicuna

Digging around and found this shot. Do you see the same problems here that are in the other one?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Thomas heart 1.jpg (188.0 KB, 14 views)
Old 01-20-2018   #18
Vicuna

Uh. . . now I am trying to figure out how to turn it upright.

Last edited by JanetP; 01-20-2018 at 09:07 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 01-21-2018   #19
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 1467548

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetP View Post
Uh. . . now I am trying to figure out how to turn it upright.
Ve haff vays...
but ze best vay iss turning it upright before uploading it.

I like the most recent one better as a posed portrait - much better, in fact - but it is largely a bust as a product shot. The exposure on the shirt is a bit better, but the problems with the foreshortening of the heart are still much the same. The viewers' left side of the heart looks a bit better but now the shirt is relatively smaller in the image and is therefore a subsidiary element rather than anything like the main one.
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018   #20
Vicuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoundrel1728 View Post
Ve haff vays...
but ze best vay iss turning it upright before uploading it.
But, Boris, eeet vas upright vhen I uploaded eet!

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > All Other Styles & Types »

Share this topic: