Just ordered my first set of ND filters!
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > All Other Styles & Types

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2017   #1
Llama

CamelKarma: 226472
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Just ordered my first set of ND filters!

Ordered a cheap 3 pack set that are stack-able.. This is gonna be fun! Ill post back when I have something interesting to share..

Andrew

https://www.flickr.com/photos/35295761@N08/albums

My albums at photocamel:
http://photocamel.com/gallery/u69945-shutterklick.html
ShutterKlick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017   #2
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Administrator

CamelKarma: 6968994
Editing OK?: Ask First
Default Re: Just ordered my first set of ND filters!

Well that can be good or bad. Cheap filters are usually not the way to go. Some think it is a less expensive way to try something new, while others think it is a way to try something new that won't turn out as good as it could and lesson your desire to get further in to it. I'd assume you mean you got round ND filters, all with threaded sides. That in itself also goes to the first point in that you can't adjust the "grad line" to be more towards the top or bottom of the image so your compositional freedom is lessoned, or could be.... unless you just got ND filters that are not graduated ND....

Now that I seemingly dished your new venture, and I didn't mean to be super negative, I hope it gives you some inspiration and satisfaction that drives you to want to get more in to it at picture time instead of post... and you get a Lee Seven5 (Sev5n) series or similar rectangular slide set of filters for more control and better optics. Be sure to post some of the new experience.

PhotoCamel Helpful Info....
Posting Images Tutorial ... Posting and Critiquing? ... What's Camel Karma?
Mr. Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017   #3
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1469207

He didn't say they were grad NDs. If there is no gradient on the filter, the round screw-in kind has no disadvantage. That said, cheap neutral density filters, besides the risks you run with cheap filters generally, are often not truly neutral. This can introduce a color cast into your image if not compensated for. With non-grad ND filters, this color cast is easy to compensate in a digital camera or it can be compensated for when processing the images in the computer. No big deal, unless we are talking about a grad filter. In that case, the color cast is not uniform over the entire image, which complicates the correction.
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017   #4
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 483402

Have fun! What's the maximum with all three at once?
ciarre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017   #5
Camel Breath

That would be my question also. I have a couple of ND filters myself that I got in a 4-pc 28 mm diameter filter kit for my Coolpix 950, later 995. I really got the kit for the circular polarizer but it also had 4x and 8x (ND 0.6 and 0.9 decade attenuation) and a UV filter. I did use the attenuators on rare occasions, but found that they shaved off the corners of my image when I stacked them and shot all the way zoomed out to wide angle. I have been thinking about getting a ND 2 or so but haven't been able to convince myself that I would use one enough to justify its expense and space in my camera bag. (I assume that you already have a polarizing filter?)
Old 07-30-2017   #6
Llama

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciarre View Post
What's the maximum with all three at once?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I figure, $15 with free 2 day, what the heck! Ill play with them..

Will be here Monday, I might get to try them out this week!

Andrew

My albums at photocamel:
Old 07-30-2017   #7
Camel Breath

55 mm filter threads, ND2, ND4, and ND8, which means 2x (1 stop) 4x (2 stops) and 8x (3 stops) attenuation, respectively. When stacked together, the attenuations multiply, or the number of stops add. All three together will therefore give 64x (6 stops) of attenuation. It is not clear whether these have an antireflection coating on the back side, but one side at least is uncoated. Depending on the lens you use them with, this may (or may not) cause glare or ghosting problems. particularly when using more than one filter on your lens.

These filters would fit my Sigma 50 mm f/2.8 macro lens, but would be too small for any of my other dSLR lenses. I have largely standardized on 67 mm filters for my system, with step-up rings and one step-down to fit most my other dSLR lenses. Besides this particular lens, I also have lenses with 58 mm, 62 mm, 67 mm, and 72 mm filters, and one behemoth that takes 105 mm filters, which I so far haven't really needed any filters for. My Canon S2-IS adapter tube also takes 58 mm threads and my Nikon Coolpix 995 takes 28 mm threads. There is no readily-available 28-67 mm step-up ring, so that one I have to step up in three stages of 28-37, 37-58, and 58-67 mm. It should also me noted that, with only two exceptions, all of my dSLR lenses opens up to at least f/2.8. You may be able to standardize on a smaller filter thread if you don't require the kind of low-light capability that I do for my shooting style. Also, to the best of my knowledge, most of today's Canon dSLR lenses have either 58 mm or 77 mm filter threads. If you go with third-party lenses, as many of mine are, old-style lenses, as my Canon 80-200 mm f/2.8 with 72 mm filter threads, your mileage may vary. I also believe that Nikon also has tended to standardize on its filter thread size, but not necessarily the same sizes as Canon.
Old 07-30-2017   #8
Llama

These will be for my Nikon 15-55, which is 55mm- my 55-200 is 58mm. I thought I would be able to get better use with the 15-55 lens.

Andrew

My albums at photocamel:
Old 07-30-2017   #9
Camel Breath

Have plans for any other (future) lenses?
Old 07-30-2017   #10
Llama

CamelKarma: 792881

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutterKlick View Post
These will be for my Nikon 15-55,
Watch for vignetting when you go wide with that lens.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > All Other Styles & Types »

Share this topic: