Family Armed Services thread - Page 3
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > All Other Styles & Types

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2014   #21
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 60523190
Editing OK?: Ask first
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Family Armed Services thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Lily View Post
The veterans that I personally know would disagree with you.

Also there is no 'dogmatic interpretation' here. A simple google search will educate you on the purpose for Memorial Day.

Sorry you disagree, but hey, that's life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tat2Duck View Post
As a four year Navy veteran during the Lebanon Crisis in the late 80's I agree with Sis' post. Memorial Day is for those who gave the ultimate sacrifice.

On a personal note, I have a hard time accepting thanks on Veteran's Day as I see my service as being rather unimpressive and uninspiring. My ship was involved in several military maneuvers, including the one in which Lt. Mark Lange and Lt. Robert Goodman were shot down and taken by Syrian forces in 1983. We also lost a helo crew on maneuvers in the Gulf. I would rather honor those who fought than someone like me who "just went for the ride."
Quote:
Originally Posted by blumesan View Post
I find this remark offensive for its very dogmatic interpretation of the holiday and the suggestion that the OP is less than appropriate on this day.

There is no day in the year that it is inappropriate to honor those who have served our country, irrespective whether they survived that service. And doing so on Memorial Day in no way dilutes the tribute to those who died in service.
Quote:
Originally Posted by R. House View Post
Thank you Rain Lily for "saying something". I did not find your post disrespectful, but instead informative and a reminder of what the holiday was intended. I too am a veteran and my thoughts agree with your husbands.

I thank everyone for the comments so far. I have been on forums and around life in general to know how quickly things can turn. So I am going to say this and am not directing it towards anyone at all. It is just a generalization so, I mean no harm.

Before this thread turns into an argument about what is appropriate or not I beg you to read the "title" of the thread and also the premise (what the thread is about). This thread is not about Memorial Day, Veteran's Day, Independence Day, or any other Holiday. This thread is simple. I started it so that people who would like to share stories about family members who have served and post photos if they would like. That is all. Plain and simple.

Now my 2 cents.
I know a lot of people in the service and a lot of retired also. Does not matter to me if they served one day or 30 years. They are doing a job protecting my freedoms and rights. One does not have to serve in a war, conflict , battle or anything along those lines. You are still doing it. And I thank you for it. If one finds it offensive because I said thanks,,,,so be it. You can please go to another thread and hang out there. I still deeply appreciate what you have done for me and my family.

Also, I have asked for this thread to be removed because it was not intended to offend anyone or, start any arguments. I do not know where that will lead. For me, the thread is over.

52 weeks completed "completed"
pete's-try-at-a-365 "Completed"
P & A Photos Flickr
P & A Photos Photobucket
I live in the Land of the Free because of the Brave!
PeteD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014   #22
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 6617978
Editing OK?: No

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteD View Post
...Also, I have asked for this thread to be removed because it was not intended to offend anyone or, start any arguments. I do not know where that will lead. For me, the thread is over.
Personally I think Blumesan was out of line with that comment as the quoted post was misquoted and blown out of proportion. As you stated, this thread has a purpose which was clearly delineated and, in my opinion, a rather good one. I vote to keep the thread for it's original purpose, to commemorate our family and friends, dead or alive, in war or in peace, who have offered their services in defense of our freedoms.
Tat2Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014   #23
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 43480375
Editing OK?: Ask First

Quote:
Forgive me, Gary, I got mixed up and it did not register that you were talking about the Marine you had already mentioned in the earlier post. I did not mean to sound like I did when I made the comment about the camera - I would have been uncomfortable as well and felt disrespectful taking pictures too I'm so sorry to have misunderstood - I saw 'My 'Marine' and thought you were talking about one of your own family members. I didn't read far enough.
No no don't feel bad. I didn't take it that way at all. I did actually take a few shots tonight of the fire trucks out in the parking lot as we were leaving.

Just got back. I'll post some shots as soon as I can.

Pete I hope you don't mind my posting these here. I can start a new thread if you'd rather I did that.
Old 05-29-2014   #24
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 12371645
Editing OK?: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro70z28 View Post
No no don't feel bad. I didn't take it that way at all. I did actually take a few shots tonight of the fire trucks out in the parking lot as we were leaving.

Just got back. I'll post some shots as soon as I can.

Pete I hope you don't mind my posting these here. I can start a new thread if you'd rather I did that.
Thanks, Gary. Looking forward to seeing your shots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteD View Post
I thank everyone for the comments so far. I have been on forums and around life in general to know how quickly things can turn. So I am going to say this and am not directing it towards anyone at all. It is just a generalization so, I mean no harm.

Before this thread turns into an argument about what is appropriate or not I beg you to read the "title" of the thread and also the premise (what the thread is about). This thread is not about Memorial Day, Veteran's Day, Independence Day, or any other Holiday. This thread is simple. I started it so that people who would like to share stories about family members who have served and post photos if they would like. That is all. Plain and simple.

Now my 2 cents.
I know a lot of people in the service and a lot of retired also. Does not matter to me if they served one day or 30 years. They are doing a job protecting my freedoms and rights. One does not have to serve in a war, conflict , battle or anything along those lines. You are still doing it. And I thank you for it. If one finds it offensive because I said thanks,,,,so be it. You can please go to another thread and hang out there. I still deeply appreciate what you have done for me and my family.

Also, I have asked for this thread to be removed because it was not intended to offend anyone or, start any arguments. I do not know where that will lead. For me, the thread is over.
Pete, when I first posted, my brother in law had already called my husband (both are veterans) and they were talking about the things I mentioned - and I had seen much on facebook as well, that seemed to me to be more for Veteran's Day than Memorial Day. So it wasn't a reaction necessarily toward your post alone, but instead that I think sometimes we forget what some holidays are designated for. I am sorry that I have upset you. Of course since you started the thread, you decide what happens to it, but I don't think it has gone bad. How about revising your request to administration to remove my posts since those are the ones that apparently are controversial? I'm fine with that, and your thread can remain for posting pictures of any military family that anyone wants to share.
Old 05-29-2014   #25
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 2238281

Quote:
The veterans that I personally know would disagree with you.

Also there is no 'dogmatic interpretation' here. A simple google search will educate you on the purpose for Memorial Day.

Sorry you disagree, but hey, that's life.
A friend of mine who lost her husband right before Memorial Day this year (he died in combat) got so mad about all of the "Thank you for serving!" stuff on FB that she shut down her account. It can be very offensive, especially to those who have lost a family member.

Veterans' Day is when we thank military members for their service, Memorial Day is when we remember the fallen.

FB: What The Focus Photography
Full Website and Blog: Hello Focus
If all you've got is your beautiful smile, I wouldn't trade you my beautiful mind.
I am a lady on the streets and a freak on the internet.
pixiepop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014   #26
F1 Camel

A few shots from tonight. Got a little CA in the sun shots.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hancock 5.29.14.1.jpg (87.7 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg Hancock 5.29.14.2.jpg (101.6 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg Hancock 5.29.14.3.jpg (127.2 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg Hancock 5.29.14.4.jpg (34.7 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg Hancock 5.29.14.5.jpg (64.4 KB, 48 views)
Old 05-31-2014   #27
F1 Camel

Most taken through the windshield glass with a P&S so they are what they are.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg steven hancock 3.jpg (79.8 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg steven hancock 4.jpg (101.3 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg steven hancock 5.jpg (105.4 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg steven hancock 7.jpg (110.7 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg steven hancock 9.jpg (156.8 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg steven hancock 11.jpg (187.0 KB, 42 views)
Old 05-31-2014   #28
F1 Camel

Few more.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg steven hancock 20.jpg (166.3 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg steven hancock 22.jpg (88.5 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg steven hancock 28.jpg (132.9 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg steven hancock 33.jpg (115.9 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg steven hancock 30.jpg (111.7 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg steven hancock 31.jpg (80.4 KB, 42 views)
Old 05-31-2014   #29
F1 Camel

The last.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg steven hancock 34.jpg (56.0 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg steven hancock 35.jpg (73.3 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg steven hancock 36.jpg (81.3 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg steven hancock 38.jpg (94.8 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg steven hancock 41.jpg (101.7 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg steven hancock 40.jpg (217.7 KB, 39 views)
Old 05-31-2014   #30
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 6617978

An impressive turnout, Gary. Nice shots. Thanks for sharing.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > All Other Styles & Types »

Share this topic: