Family Armed Services thread - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > All Other Styles & Types

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2014   #11
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 43480375
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Family Armed Services thread

Our Marine comes home tomorrow. We are asked to line the streets when the motorcade arrives to show our support for the family.
Old 05-28-2014   #12
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 290264
Editing OK?: Yes

Thank you Rain Lily for "saying something". I did not find your post disrespectful, but instead informative and a reminder of what the holiday was intended. I too am a veteran and my thoughts agree with your husbands.
Old 05-28-2014   #13
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 12371645

Quote:
Originally Posted by blumesan View Post
I find this remark offensive for its very dogmatic interpretation of the holiday and the suggestion that the OP is less than appropriate on this day.

There is no day in the year that it is inappropriate to honor those who have served our country, irrespective whether they survived that service. And doing so on Memorial Day in no way dilutes the tribute to those who died in service.
The veterans that I personally know would disagree with you.

Also there is no 'dogmatic interpretation' here. A simple google search will educate you on the purpose for Memorial Day.

Sorry you disagree, but hey, that's life.
Old 05-28-2014   #14
Camel Breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by R. House View Post
Thank you Rain Lily for "saying something". I did not find your post disrespectful, but instead informative and a reminder of what the holiday was intended. I too am a veteran and my thoughts agree with your husbands.
Thank you. Pete and I communicated the other day and I think we are good too. Education was the intent, not offense.
Old 05-29-2014   #15
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 6617978
Editing OK?: No

As a four year Navy veteran during the Lebanon Crisis in the late 80's I agree with Sis' post. Memorial Day is for those who gave the ultimate sacrifice.

On a personal note, I have a hard time accepting thanks on Veteran's Day as I see my service as being rather unimpressive and uninspiring. My ship was involved in several military maneuvers, including the one in which Lt. Mark Lange and Lt. Robert Goodman were shot down and taken by Syrian forces in 1983. We also lost a helo crew on maneuvers in the Gulf. I would rather honor those who fought than someone like me who "just went for the ride."
Tat2Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014   #16
Camel Breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tat2Duck View Post
As a four year Navy veteran during the Lebanon Crisis in the late 80's I agree with Sis' post. Memorial Day is for those who gave the ultimate sacrifice.

On a personal note, I have a hard time accepting thanks on Veteran's Day as I see my service as being rather unimpressive and uninspiring. My ship was involved in several military maneuvers, including the one in which Lt. Mark Lange and Lt. Robert Goodman were shot down and taken by Syrian forces in 1983. We also lost a helo crew on maneuvers in the Gulf. I would rather honor those who fought than someone like me who "just went for the ride."
My husband feels the same way, Duck. He was a captain in the Louisiana National Guard, and went on full time active duty during the first Gulf War in November 1990. He was in Waco getting ready to leave when the war ended in February. While he is proud to have served, he thinks his service pales in comparison to others.

I think he, and you, and any veteran or active military are just amazing for your willingness to do just that - serve. Don't doubt that you are an inspiration.

And thank you for your comments about Memorial Day.
Old 05-29-2014   #17
Camel Breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro70z28 View Post
Our Marine comes home tomorrow. We are asked to line the streets when the motorcade arrives to show our support for the family.
Removed unintentionally insensitive remark.
Old 05-29-2014   #18
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 43480375
Editing OK?: Ask First

Sis, I'll have the DSLR in the trunk & the P&S in my pocket Friday, but I'm feeling a little uneasy about pulling them out unless an appropriate opportunity shows itself. He's being interned at Lincoln cemetery, so I am thinking if nothing else we can go back another day & get photos of the area. (never been there, but I'm told it's very nice).
I doubt I will take out the DSLR, but I maybe might take a few P&S shots if I see camera phones being used. I'm sure there will be many great photo ops. but I just don't want to be disrespectful. I may have trouble holding a camera steady anyway.

BTW: I missed the motorcade yesterday. I tried to time my schedule so I'd get here just before they got to town & ran into a snag. I missed it by just 4-5 minutes.

Got this 1 P&S shot. They turned off at this corner. By the time I got to the top of the bridge in the background the flag was already down.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Steven Flag.jpg (154.3 KB, 44 views)
Old 05-29-2014   #19
Camel Breath

Forgive me, Gary, I got mixed up and it did not register that you were talking about the Marine you had already mentioned in the earlier post. I did not mean to sound like I did when I made the comment about the camera - I would have been uncomfortable as well and felt disrespectful taking pictures too I'm so sorry to have misunderstood - I saw 'My 'Marine' and thought you were talking about one of your own family members. I didn't read far enough.
Old 05-29-2014   #20
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 60523190
Editing OK?: Ask first

Thanks for the photo Gary. I pray his family is coping ok

52 weeks completed "completed"
pete's-try-at-a-365 "Completed"
P & A Photos Flickr
P & A Photos Photobucket
I live in the Land of the Free because of the Brave!
PeteD is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > All Other Styles & Types »

Share this topic: