Project Orion (Astrophotography Tool) - Page 4
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > All Other Styles & Types

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2011   #31
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 1373
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Project Orion (Astrophotography Tool)

I saw a couple of the molded and cast gears today, they looks awesome. Hopefully in a few weeks we can have a working prototype. Aiming for a $300 price tag if it all works well.

My Astrophotography Thread
My Time Lapse Thread <-- NEW
Jack Ripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011   #32
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 1373

OK so back to Project Orion, i know there has not been much of an update on this. Right now we are in the process of building a vacuum chamber for the casting process. The pump is currently being shipped, we already have the pressure cooker. Now we just ned to find a spare air compressor tank and we will be in business.

See the problem is we are sort of cheap.... we dont want to spend $100 on gears for every one of these, so by casing and molding our own we can knock that price down to about $3.00 per set of gears. Also, the gears we are currently replicating are just on loan. We have to give them back. lol

the vacuum chamber we are building has been proven to work for this in the past, my machinist and one of his buddies built one to do this exact same thing a few years ago, the problem is his buddy is doing a home addition and all his junk is packed up and boxed up. So rather than wait for this guy to finish we are just building a new one.

My Astrophotography Thread
My Time Lapse Thread <-- NEW
Jack Ripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011   #33
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 7324142

I wanted you to check this site out Click Here
it seems the Mx2 controller would be perfect for this just have to rig the motor to
a modified threatened lever so the barn door would open.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > All Other Styles & Types »

Share this topic: