Project Orion (Astrophotography Tool) - Page 3
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.
 


Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > All Other Styles & Types

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2011   #21
Alpaca
 
Posts: 13
CamelKarma: 147
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Project Orion (Astrophotography Tool)

Fantastic work. Keep it up!
stemarcoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011   #22
Llama
 
aquadanoo5's Avatar
 
Location: Mont. Co. PA
Posts: 711
CamelKarma: 161953
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Project Orion (Astrophotography Tool)

I've spent the last month or so building my own version of a barn door. It is very crude and spartan, but I've used only stuff I've had laying around my shop. As of now I am waiting on a motor (I recently decided to go automated) this will be the only part I have not had on hand. I am going with a 1 rpm motor connected directly to the 1/4 20 rod. I have the nut mounted on the lower board with two #8-32 screws holding it so it can swivel as the tracker opens. I'll post some pics later tonight. I'm
going to Cherry Springs (Black Forest Star Party - Presented by the Central Pennsylvania Observers )next week for a star party and hopefully will take my first astrophotography images with it.
__________________
The early bird may very well get the worm, but...
the second mouse gets the cheese.
aquadanoo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011   #23
Guanaco
 
Jack Ripper's Avatar
 
Location: Littleton Co
Posts: 277
CamelKarma: 1373
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Project Orion (Astrophotography Tool)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquadanoo5 View Post
I've spent the last month or so building my own version of a barn door. It is very crude and spartan, but I've used only stuff I've had laying around my shop. As of now I am waiting on a motor (I recently decided to go automated) this will be the only part I have not had on hand. I am going with a 1 rpm motor connected directly to the 1/4 20 rod. I have the nut mounted on the lower board with two #8-32 screws holding it so it can swivel as the tracker opens. I'll post some pics later tonight. I'm
going to Cherry Springs (Black Forest Star Party - Presented by the Central Pennsylvania Observers )next week for a star party and hopefully will take my first astrophotography images with it.
Thats awesome! Be sure to post your results!

Im taking the prototype out this weekend camping, its about as dark of a place as you will ever see.

Tomorrow im going to start ordering parts for the new desgin.
__________________
Nikon D7k | D70
Tokina 12-24mm| Nikkor 24-70 2.8 AF-S | 70-200 2.8 AF-S VR1 | 35mm 1.8 AF-S | 50mm 1.8 AF|
SB-900 + SB-600 (x 2)

My Astrophotography Thread
My Time Lapse Thread <-- NEW
Jack Ripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011   #24
Guanaco
 
Jack Ripper's Avatar
 
Location: Littleton Co
Posts: 277
CamelKarma: 1373
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Project Orion (Astrophotography Tool)

So after a 2 week hiatus from Project Orion to develop the foundation of Project Chronos. I must admid, Project Chronos is looking fantastic.I will be hosting a thread about project chornos in the future, but not just yet.

Project Orion is back on track, I am waiting to get the new motor and controller so we can play around with the new drive system.

About the drive system, this is not anything i have seen done before.. It is a pretty unique and we need to protect the design untill we determine if it will work well enough that we need to patent it. So the prototype will be using opaque plexiglass instead of clear. The GOOD news, is this new system should enable dusk to dawn tracking, we no longer need limit switches, we can cut down on a lot of hardware. If the prototype goes well we will be manufacturing almost all of our own gears, arms, circuit board, etc, Cutting down on all of this means we can hit an even lower price point, one of my main goals is to make this as affordable as possible. Im aiming for the $300-350 mark for an all inclusive system in a small 5x4x4 inch box.

so my apologies about the lack of details, i will share as much as possible including performance photos and maybe even photos of the unit, just not the driving mechanism. The last thing we want is somebody seeing the design, patenting it themselves, then try to jack the price up to 600-700 and sell it for themselves.

the parts should start arriving in the next few days, this friday i have another meeting with my partner, hopefully to get the details pounded out and start the construction process.
__________________
Nikon D7k | D70
Tokina 12-24mm| Nikkor 24-70 2.8 AF-S | 70-200 2.8 AF-S VR1 | 35mm 1.8 AF-S | 50mm 1.8 AF|
SB-900 + SB-600 (x 2)

My Astrophotography Thread
My Time Lapse Thread <-- NEW
Jack Ripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011   #25
Bactrian
 
prohobo's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,938
CamelKarma: 26034
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Project Orion (Astrophotography Tool)

I just had to say... I love the names for your projects.
prohobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011   #26
Guanaco
 
Jack Ripper's Avatar
 
Location: Littleton Co
Posts: 277
CamelKarma: 1373
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Project Orion (Astrophotography Tool)

Quote:
Originally Posted by prohobo View Post
I just had to say... I love the names for your projects.
My next project is Project Puppet-Master, it will be a handheld control system used to integrate and control all my various projects.

I think half the fun of this stuff is coming up with cool names. lol
__________________
Nikon D7k | D70
Tokina 12-24mm| Nikkor 24-70 2.8 AF-S | 70-200 2.8 AF-S VR1 | 35mm 1.8 AF-S | 50mm 1.8 AF|
SB-900 + SB-600 (x 2)

My Astrophotography Thread
My Time Lapse Thread <-- NEW
Jack Ripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011   #27
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath
 
_Provo_'s Avatar
 
Location: Georgia, USA
Posts: 12,141
CamelKarma: 7324142
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Project Orion (Astrophotography Tool)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Ripper View Post
So after a 2 week hiatus from Project Orion to develop the foundation of Project Chronos. I must admid, Project Chronos is looking fantastic.I will be hosting a thread about project chornos in the future, but not just yet.

Project Orion is back on track, I am waiting to get the new motor and controller so we can play around with the new drive system.

About the drive system, this is not anything i have seen done before.. It is a pretty unique and we need to protect the design untill we determine if it will work well enough that we need to patent it. So the prototype will be using opaque plexiglass instead of clear. The GOOD news, is this new system should enable dusk to dawn tracking, we no longer need limit switches, we can cut down on a lot of hardware. If the prototype goeswell we will be manufacturing almost all of our own gears, arms, circuit board, etc, Cutting down on all of this means we can hit an even lower price point, one of my main goals is to make this as affordable as possible. Im aiming for the $300-350 mark for an all inclusive system in a small 5x4x4 inch box.

so my apologies about the lack of details, i will share as much as possible including performance photos and maybe even photos of the unit, just not the driving mechanism. The last thing we want is somebody seeing the design, patenting it themselves, then try to jack the price up to 600-700 and sell it for themselves.

the parts should start arriving in the next few days, this friday i have another meeting with my partner, hopefully to get the details pounded out and start the construction process.
You have all that equipment to manufacture circuit boards? Gears and all that?
because heck I know a company that makes there own boards and it's no small shop area the boards are dipped in some acid that does the tracing for the pins and there there's robots that put all the gadgets together seems expensive to manufacture all that
_Provo_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011   #28
Vicuna
 
samueladams's Avatar
 
Location: Kansas
Posts: 186
CamelKarma: 2458
Editing OK?: Ask first
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Project Orion (Astrophotography Tool)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Ripper View Post
it will have to have a reset-rewind feature
Not sure I have a complete understanding of your setup, but something as simple as a on,off,toggle switch, with the result being when the unit is powered on or toggled, it resets to the starting point might work. I would think you would want a way to manually reset it. You probably already have this, but I couldn't tell.

I recommend posting on the marketplace when you have a finished product to sell, as I'm sure you'll get a lot of interest.

I also noticed your design uses a adjustable ball head and while I may be mistaken, it seems this might be causing some of your problems when using different mm lens and time. I would like to suggest a macro slider for you to consider. Img below. You might also get less shake in a wind.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/images/l...ges/193311.jpg

BTW, i'm cheering for you to succeed with the rest of the posters here.

Sam
samueladams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011   #29
Guanaco
 
Jack Ripper's Avatar
 
Location: Littleton Co
Posts: 277
CamelKarma: 1373
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Project Orion (Astrophotography Tool)

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Provo_ View Post
You have all that equipment to manufacture circuit boards? Gears and all that?
because heck I know a company that makes there own boards and it's no small shop area the boards are dipped in some acid that does the tracing for the pins and there there's robots that put all the gadgets together seems expensive to manufacture all that
In a nutshell yes, the big shop probably cranks out thousands a day, we wont be nearly that productive. As for the gearing we are going to use a casting process. I was a bit dubious at first but apparently my partner has cast gears before and is 100% confidant on the ability to perfectly replicate them. I did some reading on the casting system and process, and it would appear 100% perfect replication is very possible, the resulting gears will be far stronger than the origional.

As for the circuit boards we are looking into that. He has a CNC mill and we have found some programs that enable you to draw the circuit design and upload it into CAD, once it is there the CNC will remove the unneeded copper and drill all the holes.
However, we are wondering if that would be worth our while. It may save us 5-6 bucks per unit but give us several extra hours of work.



Quote:
Originally Posted by samueladams View Post
Not sure I have a complete understanding of your setup, but something as simple as a on,off,toggle switch, with the result being when the unit is powered on or toggled, it resets to the starting point might work. I would think you would want a way to manually reset it. You probably already have this, but I couldn't tell.

I recommend posting on the marketplace when you have a finished product to sell, as I'm sure you'll get a lot of interest.

I also noticed your design uses a adjustable ball head and while I may be mistaken, it seems this might be causing some of your problems when using different mm lens and time. I would like to suggest a macro slider for you to consider. Img below. You might also get less shake in a wind.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/images/l...ges/193311.jpg

BTW, i'm cheering for you to succeed with the rest of the posters here.

Sam
Thank you sam!

Yes the barn-door style was all ready to go with limit switches to prevent it from opening or closing too much, LED indicators to show how much time it had left to track, and controls to manually rewind the unit.

unfortunatly the curved rod creates a slight ratcheting movement we couldnt get around, so we have repurposed that design for a proof-of-concept test for another project. As it was, it could accuratly track almost indefinatly at under 24mm because the ratcheting effect was too small to show up at wide angles. it only manifested around 70mm+

The ballhead should be cool, on my testing at least was done out in my yard, no wind at the time. i have tracked with my wooden tracker with that ballhead on it, and was able to get some great shots even with some strong gusts of wind.

Right now for the new design we have already cast the gears, and are waiting on the new gear material and some parts in the mail.

Once we get those parts together it is just measuring, drawing in CAD then fabricating the housing, brackets, and such.
__________________
Nikon D7k | D70
Tokina 12-24mm| Nikkor 24-70 2.8 AF-S | 70-200 2.8 AF-S VR1 | 35mm 1.8 AF-S | 50mm 1.8 AF|
SB-900 + SB-600 (x 2)

My Astrophotography Thread
My Time Lapse Thread <-- NEW
Jack Ripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011   #30
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Photocamel Master
 
Killjoy's Avatar
 
Location: Clayton, CA
Posts: 9,285
CamelKarma: 332771
Editing OK?: Ask first
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Project Orion (Astrophotography Tool)

Subscribed. This looks awesome, and I can't wait to see how it turns out.


__________________
Members don't see ads in threads. Register for your free account today and become a member of PhotoCamel to open up the site's many benefits and features.
__________________
Some people hunt with a gun. I use a Canon.

The Adventures of the Photo Camel

My Smugmug page

A photograph is like a joke. If you have to explain it, it just isn't that good.
Killjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > All Other Styles & Types »


Share this topic:

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Astrophotography question Douglas Camera Equipment Reviews 0 09-30-2010 07:55 PM
Andromeda galaxy and Orion nebula through my 75mm-300mm lens... Edsport All Other Styles & Types 11 07-06-2010 02:16 AM
Tool cursor shown as a cross hair in PS CS4 instead of correct tool stealers Image Editing 5 07-30-2009 08:10 PM