Astrophotography Thread - Page 3
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > All Other Styles & Types

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2010   #21
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 1373
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Astrophotography Thread

Wow so i have been searching through an astrophotography forum, seems stacking is the way to go for deep space objects, there seems to be a use of under/over exposed shots (darks, subs, etc), then using them together almost like HDR but a bit different.

My Astrophotography Thread
My Time Lapse Thread <-- NEW
Jack Ripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010   #22
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 3038224
Editing OK?: Yes

I still don't understand stacking.
Old 11-08-2010   #23
Guanaco

I dont completly get it myself either, it gets pretty complicated, gist of it in photoshop is if you take 2 shots of the same thing, overlay thenm, reduce opacity of the top layer by 50% what it is doing is adding the values of the pixel on the top layer and the bottom later, dividing by 2, then that is the new value when the image is flattened, the result of this happening over and over is to smooth out all the noise, while maintainging the image you actually shot.

it seems to be reccommended to do anywhere from 10-50 of the "light" shots, where you are actually getting the image you are wanting, then 10-20 "Dark" shots where you use the exact same exposure settings but have the lens cap on, then 10-20 biased shots where you do the same but with real fast shutter speed, then you have FLAT shots where you take a dozen or two pics of a t-shirt or something stretched across the lens with even lighting filling it,

what this does is it gives the stacking program a good idea of what the bakcground SHOULD look like, what the subject should look like, and just drops the noise level through the floor while sharpening up the image you are trying to get.

if you look at stacked vs non stacked images on the net, well, the stacked ones look damn near like hubble space scope images, while non stacked looks like ground based shooting at the sky.

Old 11-08-2010   #24
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 538838

Tried some long exposure shots tonight. They basically looked like blurry pictures...
Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010   #25
Camel Breath

Ok, question. What do I set the white balance to? My photos keep ending up purple. I dont know if its because I am getting some noise pollution, which seems to be red, and then fluroscent turning things blue, then the 2 mixing for purple or what. And it seems like fo sunlight, the sky is amber in color.
Old 11-09-2010   #26
Guanaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
Ok, question. What do I set the white balance to? My photos keep ending up purple. I dont know if its because I am getting some noise pollution, which seems to be red, and then fluroscent turning things blue, then the 2 mixing for purple or what. And it seems like fo sunlight, the sky is amber in color.

im not really sure, ill normally just shoot in raw, it comes out red but i correct it in camera raw on CS5

Old 11-10-2010   #27
Camel Breath

Im thinking that along with light pollution, I have lots of regular pollution adding more atmosphere to the sky. With my raw files, no matter what WB I use, there is a color shift. I just look at your Milky Way shot and am so impressed with the colors.

But being between an industrial city of Tampa and theme park capitol USA with Orlando, I am getting the worst of both worlds.
Old 11-10-2010   #28
Guanaco

oh man that milky way image was red as china SOOC, it took a severe WB adjustment in Camera Raw to correct it. But all the colors are natural, no coloring added or changed.

Old 12-16-2010   #29
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 3038224

Mount Washington Valley Astronomy Total Lunar Eclipse on December 21, 2010

Quote:
For the Western Hemisphere, the eclipse will begin on Dec. 21 at 12:29 a.m. EST (9:29 p.m. PST on Dec. 20) as the moon begins to enter Earthís outer, or penumbral, shadow. This total lunar eclipse lasts only 72 minutes from start to finish.

The entire total lunar eclipse will be visible from all of North and South America, the northern and western parts of Europe, and a small part of northeast Asia, including Korea and much of Japan.

Totality will also be visible in its entirety from the North Island of New Zealand and Hawaii. In all, an estimated 1.5 billion people will have an opportunity to enjoy the best part of this lunar show.
In other parts of the world, only the partial stages of the eclipse will be visible or the eclipse will occur when itís daytime and the moon is not above their local horizon.
Please please please let there be clear skies!!!
Old 12-16-2010   #30
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 26034

Don't forget the Geminids, I was out at 3am in 12 degree weather tuesday morning grabbing some pictures of those.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > All Other Styles & Types »

Share this topic: