Astrophotography Thread - Page 28
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > All Other Styles & Types

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2012   #271
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 7324142
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: Astrophotography Thread

Marian nice shots you got there
_Provo_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012   #272
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 29282
Editing OK?: Ask first

Man! love all the shots posted here. Wanted to learn AP myself. I got an old NatGeo Reflector Telescope but unfortunately there's no available mount that can be used for my DSLR to it. Keep posting guys!

"I not only use the brains that I have, but all that I can borrow..." - Woodrow Wilson

Gear: Sony Alpha A350 / 18-70mm Kitlens / Minolta AF 70-210mm "Beercan" / Benro tripod / Vanguard Backpack
CXP2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012   #273
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 30705

Hi Vicuna,

For objects like the Moon you can use a compact digital camera held to the eyepiece. This can produce very good results. Auto mode (with auto exposure and auto focus) is the best setting to start with. You also need to vary the zoom on the camera to get rid of vignetting at the edges.

Some compacts work better than others. Those with fairly large lenses seem to be the best. The ones with tiny lenses like those on mobile phones are the worse.

Hope that helps.

Mike.
Old 06-13-2012   #274
Vicuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGoodall View Post
Hi Vicuna,

For objects like the Moon you can use a compact digital camera held to the eyepiece. This can produce very good results. Auto mode (with auto exposure and auto focus) is the best setting to start with. You also need to vary the zoom on the camera to get rid of vignetting at the edges.

Some compacts work better than others. Those with fairly large lenses seem to be the best. The ones with tiny lenses like those on mobile phones are the worse.

Hope that helps.

Mike.
Yep. I tried that one way back Mike, using a mobile phone though. At that time I had no camera whatsoever. hehehe! IQ is not the best but I've had a few good results. Thanks Mike!

"I not only use the brains that I have, but all that I can borrow..." - Woodrow Wilson

Gear: Sony Alpha A350 / 18-70mm Kitlens / Minolta AF 70-210mm "Beercan" / Benro tripod / Vanguard Backpack
Old 06-14-2012   #275
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 30705

Hi Vicuna,

Mobile phones don't work well at all for this purpose the lens is far too small. A lens with a diameter of 15mm-20mm is the best I have found for this. Much larger, like a DSLR lens doesn't work that well either.

There are a lot of very cheap 3MP cameras available in the UK for just a few pounds; plenty on ebay. The best one I've found is an old Olympus C300 zoom; may still be a few of those around. That has a 15mm diameter lens and works every time. The Fuji 2600Z is another good one, and Fuji and Olympus cameras in those ranges with the same size lenses.

Good luck with your Astro-photography,

Mike.
Old 06-14-2012   #276
Vicuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGoodall View Post
Hi Vicuna,

Mobile phones don't work well at all for this purpose the lens is far too small. A lens with a diameter of 15mm-20mm is the best I have found for this. Much larger, like a DSLR lens doesn't work that well either.

There are a lot of very cheap 3MP cameras available in the UK for just a few pounds; plenty on ebay. The best one I've found is an old Olympus C300 zoom; may still be a few of those around. That has a 15mm diameter lens and works every time. The Fuji 2600Z is another good one, and Fuji and Olympus cameras in those ranges with the same size lenses.

Good luck with your Astro-photography,

Mike.
I'll go grab a camera then. I know we have that somewhere. LOL! Anyway, thank you very much for the tips Mike!

Old 08-02-2012   #277
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 3038224
Editing OK?: Yes

Just a quick shot from my car when I was heading across Death Valley at midnight. I had my dog in the car and it was hot, so I didn't stay long. In a couple of weeks, when the moon is new, I'll try again. This is my very first attempt at a milky way photo. Still much to learn.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0165jpg.jpg (150.4 KB, 76 views)
Old 08-23-2012   #278
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 17504

Hi everyone,

I'm a new PC member and I'm glad I found this thread. My main interest is Wildlife/Nature, but I love dabbling in AP. Looking forward to learning and contributing.

Jack...love the DIY Astrotrac on the first page !!

Here's my first contribution; Classic star trails... a 42 minute exposure centered around Polaris. The reason for the false color is to help the star trails pop out. Taken in our garden in Switzerland.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tedbyrne_2011-11-16_22-36-57.jpg (186.5 KB, 62 views)
Ted Byrne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012   #279
Bactrian

CamelKarma: 3038224
Editing OK?: Yes

Wow, Ted, great photo! Was this a solid 42min photo, or did you stack shorter timed ones together?
Old 08-23-2012   #280
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 17504

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildmaven
Wow, Ted, great photo! Was this a solid 42min photo, or did you stack shorter timed ones together?
Single 42 min exposure. I was a little lucky... it was a perfectly still night, as you can see by the relative sharpness of the trees, which show almost no evidence of motion.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > All Other Styles & Types »

Share this topic: