Andromeda galaxy and Orion nebula through my 75mm-300mm lens...
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > All Other Styles & Types

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2010   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 10560
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Andromeda galaxy and Orion nebula through my 75mm-300mm lens...

This is a couple shots i took using my 350D and 75mm-300mm lens. I taped my camera to my telescope so i could use the scope for tracking.

Andromeda galaxy - This is about 15 exposures of 3 mins each. Focal length is about 290.

Orion nebula - 5 exposures of 120 secs @ F5.6, focal length 280. Iso 800.

Orion nebula - 5 exposures of 180 secs same settings as above.

Old 06-16-2010   #2
Photocamel Master

CamelKarma: 951730
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: Andromeda galaxy and Orion nebula through my 75mm-300mm lens...

Excellent work
TREAT OTHERS THE WAY YOU LIKE TO BE TREATED. Mt. 22: 39
Bob B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010   #3
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 1200264

Fantastic work! Nice job not blowing out Orion.. Mind sharing some detail on your scope/mount? Stacking software? Even at 2-3 minutes it appears to have tracked very well. Used to try a while back on my cheap meade 90. Needless to say go-to feature was iffy at best and tracking even much, much worse. Never did invested in better mount, but went to a 10" dob.. Found out I'm no longer a night person so it rests with my other hobbies now lol...

As always C&C welcome and appreciated

Cam: Nikon D300s, D90
Lenses: Nikon 18-135, 70-300VR, Nikon 300mm 2.8 AF-S, Nikon 50mm 1.8G AF-S, Nikon TC14E-II, Tamron 90mm 2.8
Nikon 12-24 f/4G, Nikon SB-600 Flash
Manfrotto 393

My Flickr Page

My Facebook Page
bill_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010   #4
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 636748

Wow! These are incredible! I agree with Bill, I'd like to know more details on how you managed to take these! Great work!

Norm
Pingouin Frileux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010   #5
Vicuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_w View Post
Fantastic work! Nice job not blowing out Orion.. Mind sharing some detail on your scope/mount? Stacking software? Even at 2-3 minutes it appears to have tracked very well. Used to try a while back on my cheap meade 90. Needless to say go-to feature was iffy at best and tracking even much, much worse. Never did invested in better mount, but went to a 10" dob.. Found out I'm no longer a night person so it rests with my other hobbies now lol...
My scope is a 10 meade classic with built in mount. I made a permanent pier for my mount instead of using a tripod. I spent 4 nights getting the pier pretty much perfectly aligned using a star on my monitor and making adjustments to the pier until i was pretty much satisfied that the pier was now aligned good enough for me to go 4 or 5 mins or so of tracking. Stacking software i use is deepskystacker (free) and sometimes i use registax also free. Not sure what else i can tell you but if you have any more questions i'll try to answer...
Edsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010   #6
Photocamel Muse

CamelKarma: 61445

Spectacular!!

Facebook Page like?

Google+ add?
Athena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010   #7
Llama

CamelKarma: 1093574
Editing OK?: Ask first

first of all these are great shoots congratulations for the results of a hard job ,I wish that you could send photos for the whole setting of the camera & the telescope , the monitor idea is really good I liked it , did you use the bulb setting for the three minute exposure, dose it work with a remote control or how did you manage to avoid the vibration for such along time exposure?

you should frame those

vinous , Saturn , Mars are up there hanging why don"t give them a shot.
Best regards

T
tsonami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010   #8
Vicuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsonami View Post
first of all these are great shoots congratulations for the results of a hard job ,I wish that you could send photos for the whole setting of the camera & the telescope , the monitor idea is really good I liked it , did you use the bulb setting for the three minute exposure, dose it work with a remote control or how did you manage to avoid the vibration for such along time exposure?

you should frame those

vinous , Saturn , Mars are up there hanging why don"t give them a shot.
Best regards

T
Not sure why you need a photo. It's just a meade 10 inch LX200 which you can see at meade.com and imagine a camera taped to the outside of it. The scope wasnt used as a lens, it was just used for tracking.
The monitor was used way back before i did these shots, it was used to align my permanent pier. Without the pier i would have to use a tripod and wouldn't be able to use equatorial mode which then i wouldnt be able to get long exposures.
I used bulb setting and mirror lockup with a cable release and timed it, i have a remote but haven't used it yet. I also have a new electronic cable release which i can set it to take a number of exposures and of a certain length for eg, set it to take 10 exposures of 3 mins each with 5 secs between each shot which i havent used yet either.
As for the planets you mentioned, these shots need a different setup. Using a dslr camera isn't the way to go. For these alot of people use webcams. I have taken photos of mars and saturn but they didn't turn out very good. Here is a picture of jupiter and 4 of it's moons i took using my 350D but this time i used the scope as the lens. With a dslr you don't get much magnification so this is a widefield shot of it. Anymore questions just ask...
Edsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010   #9
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 13655016

I really like the shot of Andromeda galaxy! good job!
gilfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010   #10
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 226
Editing OK?: Ask first

Beautiful. Awesome.

Confusion Circle is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > All Other Styles & Types »

Share this topic: