A bit of darkness
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Abstract & Artistic Expression

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2018   #1
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 4620475
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default A bit of darkness

Just playing around with different effects.

flame copy.jpg

Station 14.jpg

Olympus E-420 user. Lens: 14-42mm :: 40-150mm :: 70-300mm
Morgan Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018   #2
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1469207
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: A bit of darkness

This effect fits the bottom image, which gives it a spooky look. However, the overall blackness in the top image didn't do much for me because it hid too much of a subject that very much wants to be seen. I therefor rotated the hues 180 degrees and then flipped the tonal values, black for white, in tone curves. This restored the hues restored to their original places on the color wheel. The result gave me too much white instead, so while still in tone curves, I pulled the middle downward a fair amount, with an especially steep downward slope at the (new) highlight end and adjusting the whole curve to maintain its concave-up character throughout the entire tonal range. I especially like how the flame pattern in front of the rear wheel turned out. Result below.
HotRodSpecEf.jpg

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Abstract & Artistic Expression »

Share this topic: