Between rules and my "Brain" (Me against the criticism)
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Abstract & Artistic Expression

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2015   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 88715
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Between rules and my "Brain" (Me against the criticism)

Hi,
this is not just a post sharing.. it is more sharing bits of my brain and the way I feel about photography.
To start with lets have a look in a shot (three different crops)

What you just saw above is a bottom centerish (no it is not exactly at center) crop and two at the sides. If you go out and ask people which you like more, they would pick (probably, well this is a "confident-guess") the bird at the right.
There are reasons for that (rule of thirds) and other you know perhaps much better than me.

The reason I made this post is that the inside me says that the right (right here means: what it feels artistically correct for just me) is the first crop.. If someone asks me why I think that I can explain but for now I just wanted to share this loneliness feeling when I am creating something that is just my self alone in the universe.. and other can not see a shot the way I shot it and shared it.

Do you also have the same feeling in this universe?

Feel free to give any direction to this thread.
Regards
Alex

Old 02-07-2015   #2
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 7477
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: Between rules and my "Brain" (Me against the criticism)

If you are a hobbyist, and you're shooting for yourself, then it's a case of "your sandbox, your rules". If you're shooting to impress an audience, then it depends on the audience.

If you're asking for opinions, I prefer the third one, just because it feels more balanced to me. Now why does an image with the left side mostly empty appear "balanced" ... I dunno. it just does (to me). If you tell me that YOU prefer the first, then who am I to argue with your vision?

There's too much concern about the mechanical rules (or guidelines). I'd be more concerned about the first impression (the one you get before your reasoning circuits kick in and start to analyze the image twenty ways to sunday).
pgriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015   #3
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 12247602

I like this as a sequence.
Old 02-07-2015   #4
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 683702

Oddly enuf, written language enters into this as well. The
concept of "reading left to right" [or whatever direction
your native culture uses] affects our sense of balance and
arrangement. You can experience putting the bird on the
left ... without cloning any extra background. Just flip it.
Birds are bilaterally symmetrical, it won't look "backwards".
Then you can wonder why you strongly prefer one version
over the other, when they are technically identical twins
[even tho mirror-imaged].

This stuff really concerns me, too. Check this thread, so I
don't hafta repeat myself in two similar threads:

http://photocamel.com/forum/still-li...-untitled.html

Link ["Untitled"] will take you "right around the corner" !

`

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Abstract & Artistic Expression »

Share this topic: