Double exposure & ICM
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Abstract & Artistic Expression

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2015   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 524213
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Double exposure & ICM

These are the result of combining in-camera double exposure with camera movement. Sometimes I like them & sometimes I think it's too much - still can't decide but tending towards Like.

Old 02-07-2015   #2
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 450862
Editing OK?: No
Default Re: Double exposure & ICM

Very cool! #1 & #3 look eerie and work great.

I can't make my mind up about #2. Some parts of it look cool and intentionally ghosted (middle), others hurt my eye like a blurry photo (stone on the right). To me, the double exposure is most apparent in some parts of this photo, for example the sky. The other two pictures could have been single exposures or double. in #2 the color stands out as much colder than the others and the telephone(?) poles give it a very dark look, as they protrude as slanted crosses

Btw. I've tried to do a similar look just yesterday evening, but my camera does not do double exposures, unfortunately. I still have to have a look at the results in a bigger format.
All the best, Silv. Contributor to our fine-art photography blog, mixed with some documentation shots. @Kamerahelden on Twitter. Always happy about insightful critique of my photos here on the camel and elsewhere.

Berliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015   #3
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 7477
Editing OK?: Yes

intentional camera movement works when it blurs the unimportant, or makes a pleasing abstract of what otherwise would be a mundane subject, or when it accentuates certain elements to give the subject a different appearance. In this case, in the first and last images, everything is blurred.
Image 1 has three blobs (yellowish foreground, whitish house, and dark trees on the right). If the intention was to create a visual impression of a dimly remembered scene from a nightmare, then the image succeeds brilliantly, as it hints at what is there, and the darkness of the treeline appears ominous.
Image 3 has a diagonal movement, and it doesn't seem to enhance any feature that is present in the image. I apologize in advance if you find my opinion harsh, but that's the reaction I have. Can it be construed as "spooky"? Perhaps, but I don't see farm silos as particularly mysterious, so again, for ME it's an image that doesn't properly convey your intent.
Image 2 is somewhat interesting in that the second exposure could be seen as a memory, or a reflection. It kinda echoes the elements that are in the first exposure, and their surperposition opens a question in my mind as to what interpretation I should give what I see. Usually, an image that makes me stop and ask a question is a good image. Do I "get" what you want us to see? Not sure.
pgriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015   #4
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 524213

Thanks for the feedback. And no, pgriz, I don't find your opinion harsh, I find it constructive and helpful. You've both given me something to think about and consider for the next shots. I like this style, I think it's obviously a question of finding the right subject matter to give the feeling. Eerie, or as pgriz put it, dimly remembered scene, is what I'm aiming for here.
goodfellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015   #5
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 7477
Editing OK?: Yes

I've done some intentional moving shots that (in my opinion) work reasonably well, but as always, it's really subjective. If you're ok with it, I'll post it here, otherwise it can be found in my gallery (which I assume is accessible to all members).

There is another photographer/artist who has the motion stuff down to a fine art (pun intended). Some of her stuff is found here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/judi_s...7644246825468/

I've admired her style and have tried to emulate her technique, but so far nowhere near the quality that she has been able to achieve.
pgriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015   #6
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1469207

Some of these motion studies can be achieved by shooting from the side windows of a moving vehicle at a fairly slow shutter speed, keeping your camera pointed at the object that you want to be sharp. Some of the others I haven't really figured out how - or even if - they can be done in-camera; different parts of the image are moving in different directions.

And if your camera doesn't do double exposures, there are ways to fake it in post, with the advantage that you have better control over the result. To a certain extent, that is also true with the motion shots, but you are mainly restricted to simulating rotational camera movements rather than translational movements or subject movements.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Abstract & Artistic Expression »

Share this topic: