cracked - Page 2
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Abstract & Artistic Expression

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2015   #11
Alpaca

CamelKarma: 7477
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: cracked

As an abstract, it works for me. When I saw it, I was attracted to the overall graphic feel: two “bullet” marks at the lower right, a somewhat translucent glass panel with embedded wire reinforcements which provides a visual texture, several etchings on the surface of the glass (center of frame), some scratches on the glass surface, the reddish out-of-focus blur, and the dark line along the left which appears to be a shadow as seen through the semi-translucent glass.
There are two areas of whitish blobs (upper left, lower right, just above the “bullet holes”) that don’t seem to help the image. Other than those, I really like the clarity of the various elements, and the care with which the photographer arranged the lines. Objectively, this could have been a glass partition in a public space, subjectively, it’s conveys a gritty feeling of things not-quite-right.
I followed the earlier conversation, and I get a different reaction to that of scoundrel1728: while it is not a “pleasing” image in that it’s not about beauty or the goodness of mankind, it is nevertheless one that opens one’s eyes on the human condition. So to me, this image works both as an abstract and as social commentary.
pgriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015   #12
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 450862
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: cracked

Thanks so much for your insightful words pgriz. You captured a lot of the thoughts I tried to put into the image with your comments.
It really was in public space, just a lot of glass panels, probably gone or at least rearranged the next day, a temporary, serendipitous arrangement of elements that had already before been created by chance and destruction, which I then moved around for a couple of minutes to arrange into a two dimensional object. I remember trying to move the white blobs (reflections) you refer to, and I moved them out of the center area as much as I could.

Also thanks Golem. Certainly a bigger size would help, depending on your monitor's size and viewing distance. For me an image 800px high can fill most of my vertical field of view.

All the best, Silv. Contributor to our fine-art photography blog, mixed with some documentation shots. @Kamerahelden on Twitter. Always happy about insightful critique of my photos here on the camel and elsewhere.

Berliner is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Abstract & Artistic Expression »

Share this topic: