Inside Of A Christmas Tree
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Abstract & Artistic Expression

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2015   #1
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 2024183
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Inside Of A Christmas Tree

Taken, looking straight up inside of a very tall x-mas tree... I used the spinning effect to get these results...

carol51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015   #2
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 17669109
Default Re: Inside Of A Christmas Tree

Nicely done, reminds me of the time tunnel in the 60s tv series.
jeffh942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015   #3
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 199623261

A cool shot Carol.
Old 01-18-2015   #4
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 8523012
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: No

Nice.
Old 01-18-2015   #5
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1469207
Editing OK?: Ask First

I counted 34 segments in one of your light paths. Assuming that these lights were blinking at 120 times per second, which is twice line frequency in the U.S., your exposure time was a trifle over 1/4 second. I also found a string that had only 16 flashes, which was probably flashing at 60 cycles per second because of a defective rectifier or LED. By plotting the positions and distances of the individual spots in several carefully chosen light paths, you could determine how fast you were spinning your camera and how much and in what directions the spinning axis wobbled while the shutter was open.
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015   #6
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 683702

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoundrel1728 View Post
I counted 34 segments in one of your light paths. Assuming that these lights were blinking at 120 times per second, which is twice line frequency in the U.S., your exposure time was a trifle over 1/4 second. I also found a string that had only 16 flashes, which was probably flashing at 60 cycles per second because of a defective rectifier or LED. By plotting the positions and distances of the individual spots in several carefully chosen light paths, you could determine how fast you were spinning your camera and how much and in what directions the spinning axis wobbled while the shutter was open.
TMI4I
Golem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015   #7
Guanaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoundrel1728 View Post

Actually , the lights were not blinking and were steady on at the time of exposure... thanks for the info....
Old 01-19-2015   #8
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 1469207
Editing OK?: Ask First

...or at least that's what it looked like. Attached is a shot of another Christmas tree I took in 2010 at 1/30 second while swinging my camera rapidly downward. all the light on the tree looked as if they were steadily on, but some of them show four distinct flashes and some others show only two. If you look closely, you will also see some vertical bars in the background slightly above the midline of the image are produced by compact fluorescent lights. Those didn't go completely dark between light pulses but you see the rhythmic variation in brightness as a kind of striped appearance. You (and I) see these lights as burning steadily because of a sort of persistence effect of our eyes. The lights showing as constant vertical bars are incandescent lights whose brightness fluctuations within a power cycle are much too small to be detected by this crude technique.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5101rs.jpg (70.6 KB, 102 views)
scoundrel1728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015   #9
Guanaco

yes... really nice technique..
Old 01-20-2015   #10
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 322787
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: No

Quote:
Originally Posted by carol51 View Post
Actually , the lights were not blinking and were steady on at the time of exposure... thanks for the info....
LEDs blink even when constant on - it's just too quick for the eye to perceive.

For example, our led-lit tree. Notice ten "flashes" per LED, correctly indicating 1/6s exposure:

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > Photography by Genre: Critique and Discussion > Abstract & Artistic Expression »

Share this topic: