An interesting list of "52" projects - Page 3
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > 52 Projects - Photo a Week

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2018   #21
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 199623261
Editing OK?: Yes
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: An interesting list of "52" projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by Promapper View Post
I'll put my $.02 worth in as it relates to the "list" in question.

No offense to anyone as I know full well the time it takes to manage just a forum let along an entire board.

I left a primarily "nikon"ish board after returning to it after 6 years. I joined so early in it's creation that my user name was just my first name. I was the only one on the site with that first name at that time. it was not what I was looking for after those passing years and I believe I have found it here. Members that are courteous and very helpful and not worried that what they share may allow someone else to be equally or lord forbid better than they. I see none of that here.

Looking over the "52" list it appears as though the original purpose was to challenge the photographer to reach out and do something that was perhaps beyond his or her comfort level. I think that is a good purpose for many . and here comes the but

not all of the photocamel members have access to quite a few of the subjects listed. some may find the list intimidated and outside of their comfort zone or ability to get there because of transportation or cost. they may feel they have inadequate equipment to get the job done.

the fear of failure may be high on their list of concerns. Although I find this group to be a very very helpful group it still takes a lot of self confidence to post something immediately after a couple of the camel "masters" whose photos I would rank up there with National Geographic.

Perhaps a slightly different approach. Ask the members to submit a list with no boundaries (in good taste of course) but trying to keep locality and cost and equipment in mind. make the list say 200 long. Then the member can select from the list of 200 to get to a list of 52 that he or she is comfortable with. I am willing to bet that there will be a few outside of their comfort level simply because there won't be enough "ho hum" subjects on the list to make 52 and they will have to select something more challenging to fill out the list. But once they complete a few new tasks / subjects and get those favorable comments they will be more so to do it again.

There are other issues I think someone could take a look at such as.

Macro. I have looked several times and I cannot figure out how the macro challenge works. I am sure it is obvious to those that have tenure but for me I have no clue. what is the subject of the month? what is that list and why are some bold?

How does one go about submitting an idea? to who? I'm sorry and I am sure there is one here but I am not able to find a list of moderators (edit, My bad, just found list on home page) or others responsible for such things.

Looking back on the "OLD Nikonish" forum I remembered that after a few years we started to run out of subjects and yes they became fewer and more difficult. perhaps unintentionally alienating the new members that will eventually replace those older ones that for one reason or another drop out forever or maybe for a few years.

there were a few members on that forum that I believe actually wanted it to become a forum of only senior users or advanced users. I believe they have degraded the forum in doing so.

Well, that is my rant and it is solely intended as ideas to think about and is not meant as and in any form of negative criticism. I would not do so as I have not been on this site long enough to rate that privilege.

Thanks for you input Greg.
This '52' forum has been in operation for several years and was quite active in the beginning.
I have seen a few participants move on to other boards, others have passed away and some have just lost interest.
My preference is that each person be permitted to chose what he / she wants to photograph & post as I have seen many forums that specify a topic which was either not possible or practical for everyone for a variety of reasons.
Old 01-07-2018   #22
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 199623261
Editing OK?: Yes
Default Re: An interesting list of "52" projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternGuy View Post
Wolf, the problem has been solved. Virus is gone with a little help from the Webmaster.

WesternGuy
Thanks WG.
I chimed in here since I clicked on your link not long after you posted it and just wanted it to be known that I incurred no issues.
And yes - I have JAVAScript turned off.
Old 01-08-2018   #23
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 6817414
Editing OK?: No
Talking Re: An interesting list of "52" projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by Promapper View Post
I'll put my $.02 worth in as it relates to the "list" in question.

No offense to anyone as I know full well the time it takes to manage just a forum let along an entire board.

No offense taken, at least not by me. It is only by having such inquiries that we can grow as a forum.

I left a primarily "nikon"ish board after returning to it after 6 years. I joined so early in it's creation that my user name was just my first name. I was the only one on the site with that first name at that time. it was not what I was looking for after those passing years and I believe I have found it here. Members that are courteous and very helpful and not worried that what they share may allow someone else to be equally or lord forbid better than they. I see none of that here.

Looking over the "52" list it appears as though the original purpose was to challenge the photographer to reach out and do something that was perhaps beyond his or her comfort level. I think that is a good purpose for many . and here comes the but

not all of the photocamel members have access to quite a few of the subjects listed. some may find the list intimidated and outside of their comfort zone or ability to get there because of transportation or cost. they may feel they have inadequate equipment to get the job done.

Not sure what you mean by "subjects listed". The list, that I posted the URL for originally, was simply a list that I found interesting and was, in no way, intended as the list that everyone should follow. Personally, I will use the list as guide, for me, for my 2018 imagery. If others choose to do so, then that is entirely their decision.

When I started the "52", I simply posted an image a week that I found interesting, to me, and I hoped others might find it interesting as well. If they didn't, then that didn't really concern me as I believe that Photography is Art and that each photographer is an artist. How each artist chooses to portray their images is entirely up to them. You, me, others, either like the image or not. I do not expect everyone to like every image I post.

the fear of failure may be high on their list of concerns. Although I find this group to be a very very helpful group it still takes a lot of self confidence to post something immediately after a couple of the camel "masters" whose photos I would rank up there with National Geographic.

I am sorry if folks feel that way. Personally, I do not see myself as a "Camel Master" and I am sure there are lots of contributors who feel the same way. I am here to share my imagery with others in the hopes of getting some feedback and to share the imagery of others in the hopes that I might learn something. If someone asks for a critique, then I am more than happy to provide relevant comments and suggestions in a friendly, constructive fashion.

Furthermore, if this was to become some form of "elitist" forum, then I would be gone.

Perhaps a slightly different approach. Ask the members to submit a list with no boundaries (in good taste of course) but trying to keep locality and cost and equipment in mind. make the list say 200 long. Then the member can select from the list of 200 to get to a list of 52 that he or she is comfortable with. I am willing to bet that there will be a few outside of their comfort level simply because there won't be enough "ho hum" subjects on the list to make 52 and they will have to select something more challenging to fill out the list. But once they complete a few new tasks / subjects and get those favorable comments they will be more so to do it again.

Members are not required to submit a "list" in any way shape or form. I would fight this approach to the bitter end and would adamantly refuse to comply. I would resign if this became a "rule" of operation and a requirement for membership. Interested participants are simply asked to submit one photo, or more, a week of their choosing and to commit to doing this for 52 weeks. For me this is not only a challenge, but it forces me to go out and shoot something, which I feel is interesting, at least to me, on a weekly basis. Sometimes, my image might be very similar to an image I have submitted in the past - you may have noticed, if you follow this forum, that I have a lot of flower and mountain pictures in my weekly postings. Well, I love to photograph flowers and I live within an hours drive of the Canadian Rockies. As well, I am very interested in Infrared photography, so some of my images are shot with my IR converted camera. In the coming year, well actually this year 2018, one of my goals is to try and publish about half of my images in black and white - we shall see .

You will also notice that I am an experimenter when it comes to my photography, so you will see postings in black and white, some using LAB colour and other "experiments" in formatting, developing, or otherwise processing my images. I would hate to think that sort of thing would not be welcomed here. As well, in this same theme, I am only too happy to share what I do to my images to anyone that asks. I may not exactly remember, but I try.

There are other issues I think someone could take a look at such as.

Macro. I have looked several times and I cannot figure out how the macro challenge works. I am sure it is obvious to those that have tenure but for me I have no clue. what is the subject of the month? what is that list and why are some bold?

How does one go about submitting an idea? to who? I'm sorry and I am sure there is one here but I am not able to find a list of moderators (edit, My bad, just found list on home page) or others responsible for such things.

Looking back on the "OLD Nikonish" forum I remembered that after a few years we started to run out of subjects and yes they became fewer and more difficult. perhaps unintentionally alienating the new members that will eventually replace those older ones that for one reason or another drop out forever or maybe for a few years.

I don't think I would ever run out of subjects, or ideas, to photograph I am a firm believer in "thinking outside the box" so to speak.

there were a few members on that forum that I believe actually wanted it to become a forum of only senior users or advanced users. I believe they have degraded the forum in doing so.

GAWD, I hope this never happens here.

Well, that is my rant and it is solely intended as ideas to think about and is not meant as and in any form of negative criticism. I would not do so as I have not been on this site long enough to rate that privilege.
Promapper, you will see my comments in blue in the QUOTE of your posting in this reply. Let me know if you have any further concerns. Remember, I am not the moderator of this forum, so those comments represent my views entirely.

As far as the "macro" stuff goes, I can't answer your questions there. Perhaps, if you posted your concerns on the macro forum, the moderator might be able to help you out.

Hope this helps.

WesternGuy

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/westernguy/
WesternGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > 52 Projects - Photo a Week »

Share this topic: