2017 - A new 52 - Page 7
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > 52 Projects - Photo a Week

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2017   #61
F1 Camel

CamelKarma: 6817414
Editing OK?: No
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: 2017 - A new 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfd View Post
A nice looking Heron image WG.
Hope you get over that cold soon.
Thanks Wolf. It is finally beginning to subside after a week. Hopefully it will be gone by next week. Now if the weather would just cooperate, I could get out and get some spring images.

WG

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/westernguy/
WesternGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017   #62
F1 Camel

Week 19 - Spring storm on the Prairies.

Well, the cold is making a last stubborn effort to hang on, but I still managed to get out with my wife for a Mother's day drive. As we turned and headed home, the Spring storms that come in May started to form in the west and I grabbed this image of one that I knew we would drive through on our way back to homestead. We did and got pounded severely with strong rain for about ten or fifteen minutes before we managed to drive through it.

Shot with my handheld 5D IV and a 24-105mm L IS II lens (I just love this combination). Processing was done in Lightroom CC. The presentation is with my new standard for prairie shots with a 3:1 crop. This is not a panorama.

As usual. questions and comments are welcome.

WesternGuy

Old 05-14-2017   #63
mmf
Guanaco

CamelKarma: 4418712

Nice composition and a very calming shot WG.
mmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017   #64
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 199623261
Editing OK?: Yes

A nice image WG.
That looks like the storm we had here on the coast yesterday.
Old 05-15-2017   #65
F1 Camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmf View Post
Nice composition and a very calming shot WG.
Thanks Mike. Wasn't so calming driving through the rain.

WG

Old 05-15-2017   #66
F1 Camel

Quote:
A nice image WG.
That looks like the storm we had here on the coast yesterday.
Thanks Wolf. Could be part of the same system - your weather often becomes our weather, although the mountains tend to rip systems apart, only to have them reform on our side.

WG

Old 05-22-2017   #67
F1 Camel

Week 20 - Feral horses of the Foothills.

The Foothills of the Canadian Rockies contain a number of bands of feral horses. Each band is relatively small (8 in this one) and can be difficult to find. I found this one next to a gravel road that follows the foothills. I was very surprised by this discovery as I had never seen any in this area before and I have been driving this road on numerous occasions for about two years. It is only open from late spring to late fall.

The origin of these horses has been in dispute for quite some time. The government claims they are simply descendants of domestic horses gone wild and use this justification to support an annual cull of the horses to "minimize their impact on the natural environment". Opponents of this perspective claim they are "different" and say they have been here for a very long time without stating why they are different and how long they have been here. Currently a DNA study is underway to see if this will shed any light on their origin.

I also have acquired some new software - Smart Photo Editor - that is a collection of thousands of effects and the border on this image is my first use of this software.Back to my "experimentation" with my images.

Image was shot with my 5D IV and the 24-105mm L IS II lens. Processing was done in Lightroom and Photoshop CC with Smart Photo Editor.

As usual, comments and questions are welcome.

WesternGuy

Old 05-23-2017   #68
Camel Breath

A nice shot and cool processing WG.
Good on you to find these lovely creatures - I have been to the Rockies many times have not yet seen feral horses.
That Smart Photo Editor software sounds like something I may need to consider.
Old 05-24-2017   #69
F1 Camel

Quote:
A nice shot and cool processing WG.
Good on you to find these lovely creatures - I have been to the Rockies many times have not yet seen feral horses.
That Smart Photo Editor software sounds like something I may need to consider.
Thanks wolf. Give it a look. I got the version that works as a plugin in Photoshop and can also be setup as an external editor in Lightroom. Thousands of different effects - I have only begun to scratch the surface.

If you are ever in the foothills, drive the Forestry Trunk Road (hwy 40) to the Red Deer River Crossing and take the road just north of the bridge. This road follows the Red Deer River into Sundre. The last two times I have driven that road, I have seen at least two or three small bands of feral horses, sometime only a mated pair, or a pair of young males. This would probably be your best chance at seeing any, at least on the roads that I know about. It is also a very scenic drive. It is mostly a good gravel road, both the Trunk road and the road along the river, but I wouldn't drive it in my new Lexus (not that I have one), if you know what I mean. My 4Runner takes it like it was on pavement.

WesternGuy

Old 05-24-2017   #70
Camel Breath

Thanks for that information on the software WG.
We usually have at least one trip to the Rockies every year - would love to take a look for those feral horses in the Sundre area. Interesting that you also have a 4Runner. My 2000 4Runner is the best car I have ever had. Even better than the 1989 one I previously drove.

- Chase Jarvis
wolfd is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > 52 Projects - Photo a Week »

Share this topic:

Tags
clouds, ir, landscape