52 weeks in Guilin, Guangxi Province, China.
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > 52 Projects - Photo a Week

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2013   #1
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 3077006
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default 52 weeks in Guilin, Guangxi Province, China.

Staying in Guilin for another 52 weeks so why not share my progress as i try to learn how to take nicer (well nicer in my eyes!) pictures.
I like all the little tips you can get here so I am hoping for more, not the real teckie stuff just yet please, more of the simple things and I'll work towards understanding the more technical stuff in time.
The first 5 pictures contain;
A small fish farm (I think) near the very popular Reed Flute Cave on Wednesday 8th just before sundown, although there wasn't much of a sun when this was taken.
A happy smiley young duckling. I stumbled upon them (there were many) at what seemed to be an abandoned tourist spot. I took a few pictures and only managed to get something i liked after vigourously cropping one of the images.
A popular fishing spot on the Li River taken about 3 weeks ago. OK i know it wasn't taken this week but i went back there today and it looked a lot different. See next picture.
The same fishing spot after some recent heavy rain. it was announced today that river levels are the highest so far this year, this chap was still catching tho' and didn't seem bothered.
A little further upriver, father and daughter try their hand at another method of fishing.
The weather will improve as summer approaches and the pictures will with more experience, well that's the plan anyway! Guilin is famous for its landscapes and scenery and getting up at dawn or even before dawn to capture them at their best is something i am definitely going to have to adjust to.
I hope the pictures have uploaded in the order that I have described them otherwise .....well you can work it out for yourself. Keep snapping and smiling!

File Type: jpg cam6.jpg (124.6 KB, 157 views)
File Type: jpg cam7.jpg (205.7 KB, 157 views)
File Type: jpg cam8.jpg (233.5 KB, 156 views)
File Type: jpg cam4.jpg (132.0 KB, 156 views)
horace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013   #2
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 57846952
Default Re: 52 weeks in Guilin, Guangxi Province, China.

Welcome to the 52 club Horace, Good start looking forward to seeing how your project develops.

Canon 80D - Canon 6D - Canon 500L - Canon 17-40L - Canon 24mm Pancake - Canon 40mm - Sigma 24-105 ART - Sigma 105 macro - Samyang 20mm - Canon 1.4 mkIII
Mark Lattimer-Hedley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013   #3
Vicuna

thanks for the welcome Mark,
i see from your pictures a great interest in birds, over time I will try to capture some although birds are somewhat of a rarity here, it maybe has something to do with the old adage " we will eat anything with legs except a table and anything that flies except a plane!"
Not a day today for picture taking, I'm sat in the office watching the rain hammer down outside the window. It has to stop soon surely? the river levels continue to rise, and its a pity that swollen rivers look so uninteresting in pictures (in mine they do!) and yet they are fascinating to observe when you are close to them.
Old 05-08-2013   #4
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 60523190
Editing OK?: Ask first

Welcome to the f52 forum. You off to a great start. Soo glad to see your part of the world

52 weeks completed "completed"
pete's-try-at-a-365 "Completed"
P & A Photos Flickr
P & A Photos Photobucket
I live in the Land of the Free because of the Brave!
PeteD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013   #5
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 34637132
Editing OK?: Yes

A very good start, Horace. Welcome to the 52
toonamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013   #6
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 58394711

Horace, delighted to see that you are going to be doing a Project 52. Greatly looking forwards to seeing China through your eyes.

When you get a chance, drop down to the intro thread and tell us a little about yourself.
http://photocamel.com/forum/365-proj...ourselves.html

BambersImages Flickr
Etsy Shop Print Sales

Life is too short to spend time with people who suck the happiness out of you.
“Happiness is a habit – cultivate it.” ~ Elbert Hubbar
A Camera puts a frame around life. ~ Joel Meyerowitz
BambersImages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013   #7
Vicuna

Its saturday afternoon and I'm waiting for the F1 qualifying, some more additions including;
2 pictures of men with sledgehammers demolishing a building adjacent to the bike park for my apartment. 3 of them have taken a week to get this far, working 6 days from 8am till 6pm with a healthy 2 hour lunch. their physiques as you would expect are incredible.
A housing development about 10 miles out of the city, very quiet and peaceful and quite colourful too. The older properties in Guilin don't have colours but for me have more character.
2 closer views of the statues. There were 3 statues representing Music, Literature and Science. Forgive my ignorance but the Science statue was of a Frenchman from the 19th century that had something to do with photography, there was no name below and I could only translate the date, french and photography!
Someone with a far bigger camera and lens than me taking pictures of either the happy couple of models or of a new husband and wife.

Well I timed that well, F1 qualifying it is then.
Sorry, a bit rude of me not to say earlier but thank you to all that have welcomed me here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cam52-2.jpg (241.9 KB, 143 views)
File Type: jpg cam52-1.jpg (245.4 KB, 142 views)
File Type: jpg cam52-3.jpg (174.2 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg cam52-4.jpg (188.3 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg cam52-5.jpg (145.3 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg cam52-6.jpg (200.0 KB, 136 views)
Old 05-11-2013   #8
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 34637132

I watched the F1 Qualifiers too, good result for Mercedes and Hamilton.

That's a good rate of demolition work for 3 men, if all they have to use are sledgehammers.

Great photographs of the city
toonamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013   #9
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 199623261

Beautiful shots from your part of the world Horace. Looking forward to seeing more. Welcome to the Camel.
Old 05-11-2013   #10
Dromedary

CamelKarma: 3875305

nice set of photos Horace, I love to see shots like that from different areas of the world. I like them all so far, good job.

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > 52 Projects - Photo a Week »

Share this topic: