52 weeks in Guilin, Guangxi Province, China. - Page 3
PhotoCamel: Your friendly photo community, with free discussion forums, digital photography reviews, photo sharing, galleries, downloads, blogs, photography contests, and prizes.

Go Back   PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > 52 Projects - Photo a Week

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2013   #21
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 3077006
Editing OK?: Ask First
Constructive Critique?: Yes
Default Re: 52 weeks in Guilin, Guangxi Province, China.

Toonamp, glad to hear that you are enjoying the pictures and that they stir fond memories for you, I hope to be able to continue this as the year progresses. The demolition site is now completely bare and I'm eagerly waiting to see what they construct on the open space. The adjacent buildings must be enjoying the daylight they now have, albeit for only a short while I think. I will try to capture a fully loaded lorry in the future as its quite a sight to see. Thanks for your comments and for looking.
Wolf, I appreciate your positive comments, thank you, the "old" truck you mentioned is I believe only 10 years old judging by the number plate, I will try to capture a new one for you as they look great all new and shiny!
I have been out again in the evening this week enjoying the good weather with a few beers by the river, meeting more water buffalo and trying to capture local fishermen laying their nets. I think a bigger lens is in order to get a little closer to my subjects and I'm considering a 55-200mm lens because of its relatively low cost and better usability, although it may have to wait until next months payday.
horace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013   #22
PhotoCamel Supporter DONATED
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 199623261
Editing OK?: Yes

Thank you for the additional background information, Horace. Appreciated. Looking forward to more of your images, and hope that next month's payday enables the purchase of your desired lens.
Old 05-23-2013   #23
Vicuna

A post with Wolf in mind, I took a different route home this afternoon and stumbled upon the factory that make the small trucks seen at the demolition site. Noticing the guard had left for his post I rode in and took a few pictures. As promised I have posted 2 pictures of a new shiny truck, one of them showing the engine a little closer. TBH I didn't expect to see the new vehicles so soon, I had only seen 2 or 3 in 4 years, so it was lucky for me that I came across this place.
A left turn and 2 minutes later I spot a couple chatting away, planting rice in a paddy with the hills in the background and it was click-away! I pressed the button twice on the auto setting and the camera did the rest.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cam52-20.jpg (182.0 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg cam52-19jpg.jpg (195.3 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg cam52-18.jpg (139.2 KB, 46 views)
Old 05-23-2013   #24
Camel Breath

That is a different looking (ie the exposed motor), truck than we see in the West for sure, Horace. Looks like the dog is guarding it. Very interesting. Lovely shot of the rice fields too. Thanks for sharing, Horace.
Old 05-23-2013   #25
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 34637132

Well spotted, Horace. As Wolf says it does look as if the dog is guarding the truck

Great shot of the Paddy fields too
toonamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013   #26
Vicuna

CamelKarma: 819778
Editing OK?: No

Very nice rice field ... the truck has awesome colors
lisa1266 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013   #27
Vicuna

Wolf, it's as if everything is different here than how it is in the west but in a lot of ways it's just the same, it's certainly interesting. There's never a day that goes by without seeing something what we would consider "out of the ordinary" and the exposed motor is one of those examples.
Thanks Toonamp, glad you liked the rice field, I really enjoyed the ride through the area, very calming and peaceful. As for being a guard dog, I don't think he was much of one to be honest, he crawled out from the truck, looked at me and then crawled back under. Too hot for him to get bothered about anything I think and I don't blame him either.
Hey Lisa, thanks for the comment and glad you liked the pictures. There are more trucks this installment too, same same but bigger!
This weeks' pictures are taken from the road, downtown and the primary school where I work.
I thought I'd show the range of trucks that were on show along with its smaller sibling. It was taken at the same time and no, I'm not on commission or trying to sell them! Just thought I'd share.
Not the sort of thing I'd see in my hometown but something that always makes me smile, a shame the chickens and ducks all seem to be shouting "help."
I liked the way the bird shape lights "flew" around the pathway and it was a nice fishing spot on a nice day downtown.
My local motorcycle repair shop, a nice bunch of lads! Only thing out of the ordinary here is the prices, I visit weekly for oil and chain adjustment and he asks for 3RMB. (50cents or 30p)
The school admin building. Every morning I walk in past the tree growing through the roof and smile.
Tried to get a good close up of this caterpillar climbing a tree, it was as big as my index finger and this was my best effort.
2 pictures of butterflies, yes they really are, you can tell cant you? I want a lens to get me closer to them coz the buggers wont stay still!
I have spent the last week scouring the internet for info on lenses and have ended frustrated and confused. Decided on a Nikkor 55-200mm VR and now have to decide who to give my hard-earned to. Internet says 750rmb new, with no assurance of quality or it actually being as advertised (vr or not vr? even if it says so, it doesn't mean it is, how would I know?) On the plus side I can return it and get money back.
2nd hand is 900rmb and on inspection was good quality and good feel whereas the nikon/canon shop in town centre want between 1700 and 2100rmb and the build quality and feel was very poor, so much so that it has caused doubts in my mind over their business practices. Guilin is tourism based and I'm sure that the majority of customers are from outside Guilin and only passing through.
As I am writing this I have decided to try the internet option.........for now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cam52-21.jpg (173.5 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg cam52-24.jpg (248.9 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg cam52-28.jpg (197.4 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg cam52-23.jpg (236.3 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg cam52-25.jpg (206.9 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg cam52-22.jpg (163.7 KB, 39 views)
Old 05-29-2013   #28
Vicuna

The St Vitas butterfly!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cam52-26.jpg (68.8 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg cam52-27.jpg (194.9 KB, 39 views)
Old 05-29-2013   #29
Camel Breath

CamelKarma: 34637132

That's another great collection, Horace. Those lorries look more familiar, but still with an Asian accent. The chicken and duck shot is excellent as is the motorbike one.

Lovely scenery in the town and the Primary school. Is that your bike parked outside?
I take it you teach English their ?

Great shot of the caterpillar, the butterflies are certainly recognisable I prefer the second one showing that beautiful blossom too.

Best of luck with your lens purchase
toonamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013   #30
Camel Breath

Another eclectic mix of shots, Horace. Your lovely images make me feel like I'm there !! I enjoyed reading your background information. Thanks for taking us along.

Love those shiny new trucks, they certainly have a different look to them. The chickens & ducks on that bike shot is a corker. Well spotted for sure. Love the shots of the bike repair shop & its proprietors, the school admin building, downtown pond and caterpillar. That butterfly looks huge.

- Chase Jarvis
wolfd is offline   Reply With Quote

« PhotoCamel - Your Friendly Photography Forum > PhotoCamel Lounge > 52 Projects - Photo a Week »

Share this topic: